Chapter 1

*Picture of Zach*
*When I saw you - Mariah Carey*

Boom!

Thrash!

Were the eerie thuds in my chest. My mind swarming with thousands of thoughts and my impatience causing my pacing around the room.

Just what the hell is taking them so long? I thought to myself when the clicking of the door knob quickly caught my attention and a long legged Mrs. Watson made her way out.

An apathetic look on her face, she shook her head and handed me a yellow portfolio. Lowering her voice to a whisper she said "if I were you I'd read this on my own time." A smirk peaking the edge of her lips she moved her hands into her pockets and pulled out a pink handkerchief, making sure to give it a good shake before handing it over to me.

"You may need this." I ripped the handkerchief from her hands and watched as her brows furrowed and her nose crinkled in a displeased manner. She then spun on her heels and began walking the other direction down the hall.

She's always been a bitch.

Studying the medium sized portfolio in my hand my mind began contemplating. I could open it up right here, right now, infront of everyone and cause a huge scene that I'd probably regret in the long run, or I could just take it home and dwell on my revelation later.

"Dan's!" A childlike voice called behind me. Startled, I quickly shoved the folder between my sides and turned to face my bestfriend Zach Michaels. His never ending grin still plastered on his face always seemed to make my day, no matter how crappy it was or is going to be for that matter.

I've always considered dating Zach ever since our freshman year, but he obviously had other plans. His dim black eyes gave him this mysterious glare that made it seem like he was always keeping a secret.Which of course riled up all the girls in our year. I highly doubt it would be because he's asian. Let's not forget his sleek black hair that he kept sloppily trimmed and held in a shit load of wax. His height must of played a role as well - I mean who wouldn't want a tall handsome guy watching below them and keeping their protection.

When I finally asked him out on the last day of the semester in our freshman year, he quickly shot me down and we both decided on being just friends. At first I thought it was because of my brown skin tone, but he made it perfectly clear that he just wasn't ready for a relationship. Considering that our friendship has lasted us up to the 12th grade already, maybe it wasn't such a bad idea after all.

"What are you doing?" His eyes fixated on the folder at my sides.

"Nothing. Mr. Nosey. " I playfully punched his arm and watched as his eyes suddenly grew from narrow to enlarged, I assume his thoughts finally began sinking in.

"It can't be-"

"No."I interrupted- quickly shaking my head.

Good job Mrs. Wilson. You just totally gave yourself away there.

He frowned at my persistence and a sigh escaped my mouth. I guess I have no choice.

"This is my portfolio of recent progress reports."

A smirk crept his lips "bingo."

"I haven't opened it yet though."

"You haven't? So how do you know it's your progress reports if you haven't checked it yet?"

An innocent smile slowly appeared on my face when I shrugged "lucky guess."

The concerned look on his face now began to scare me. Has he always been this concerned about me?

"Hand it over." Holding out his hands he smiled as I shook my head "I don't think so." A smile slowly growing onto my face as well.

"You want me to force you?" He wiggled his fingers above my head and brought them down slowly, my face colored a bright red when the thought of our last ticklish encounter made me completely flush.

"No Zach," my voice slowly faded to a whisper "I don't want to face it."

"What is there to be afraid of Danni?" The different expressions on his face began to confuse me. I'm guessing this was now his perplexed face. Sighing he realized his defeat and pulled me into his arms.

Damn he smelled so good. I wish I could've stayed there forever.

"Can you come over to my house today after school so we can read it together?"

"I don't see why not." He gave me a very casual kiss on my cheek before releasing his grasp and walking backwards towards Study Hall.

"I'll see you around three." He said before flipping and facing his back to me. Sticking out my tongue and mocking he flicked his middle finger over his shoulder and said "I can still read your movements even with my back turned to you!"

Since the beginning of our twelth grade year students were receiving folders filled with progress reports from their beginning as freshman to now seniors. As for me, my grades have always been unbelievably low, the only reason I'm even lucky enough to be here now is because of my effort I put into passing my regents in order to ace the classes with flying colors.

The regents were a yearly test that every kid is highschool is required to take for a major subject like math, english, science and history. I know for a fact that I've aced them all, but for some reason I have this really uneasy feeling in my stomach that tells me other wise. Because of that there is no possible way that I can open my fate infront of the whole school right now. Absolutely no way.

Walking out of the school I immediately made my way towards my house to put an end to this burning curiosity. Zach better hurry up or I might just leave him again.