Chapter Two

"What were you doing when you discovered there was a body?" asked the blond headed detective. He starred Jenna down, keeping his clear blue eyes concentrated to her eyes. Was he suspecting her?

"Like I said, we had our regular meet, but the coach hadn't arrived till then. Did you figure out the T.O.D. yet?"

He smiled a little, then made a sour face right after, as if he was trying mad that he had laughed. He didn't intimidate her though -- people who look like 21 year old models should definitely not be detectives. 

He fiddled with his ruffled, short hair and looked at her again.

"Did you notice anything unusual about him? Did he change his behavior?"

Jenna fiddled with her fingers. She was urging to say it...

She gathered all her confidence and forced a casual, calm smile.

"Give and take."

The detective sat there, a little confused over what she had said. "What?"

She held out her hands, using them as a demonstration. 

"It's the rule. If I," she shook her right hand, "give you something, then you," she shook her other hand, "give me something back." She smiled, a little proud of herself.

"Ms. Jenna, I have no idea what you are trying to say," he said, scanning her face.

"If I tell you something, then you give me your phone number."

He widened his eyes, letting out a surprised little chuckle. "You do know this is a bribe that you are making to a police officer, right? If I remember correctly, it's illegal as well."

"Who knows," she asked, "I may be useful to your investigation. No one knows Coach boomer as much as I do."

"Ms. Jenna, are you seriously hitting on a Federal Agent right now?" 

She flew back, almost falling off her chair. Is that what he's thinking right now? 

     Did it really seem that way?

She thought of something to say, but the words didn't come out of her mouth. "I feel offended."

He laughed. "Then why do you want my number?" he asked casually, as if he was just a friendly stranger. Suddenly, he winced, turning his head to the side as water had gone into his ear.

"Alright, alright!" He coarsely whispered.

She smiled. "Coach has a wife and a kid, believe it or not. Although, he doesn't talk with them a lot; he's rarely home at all. He's the highest level of workaholic there is -- sometimes he wouldn't go home and just sleep in his office. He is a nice guy and all, but when it comes to work, he's serious. He was the best teacher there could ever be. He's saved so many lives," she said, gradually softening her voice until she was almost silent.

"I'm sorry," said the detective. He sounded sincere.

Jenna felt a little weird; she felt a little... comfortable.

"Jenna!"

She turned her head towards the door. Suddenly, Louis burst through the door and pulled her towards himself. His arm wrapped around her waist, and his other hand held the back of her head, as if he was protecting her from something. The smell of warm, clean clothes and guy cologne filled her lungs as she held him momentarily.

"I thought something happened to you! I was so worried! why didn't you answer my calls?"

She looked down at her phone. The blue box on the screen of her iPhone flashed, indicating that she had a missed call. "Sorry Louis, It was on silent."

"I came to pick you up and I saw the police cars and an ambulance, and you didn't answer so I -"

"Louis," she held him tighter, "I'm fine."

He let go of her waist, and held onto her hand. 

"What happened?" he asked.

"Well, I was --"

"Mr. Boomer is dead," interrupted the detective, still silently sitting on the chair. He seemed a little more upset then before. "A homicide investigation is taking place, and Jenna, here, has discovered the body."

Louis squeezed Jenna's hand tighter. "I'm here," he whispered. "It's going to be OK."

She squeezed his hand back. "I sure hope so."

She turned around to the detective. "I'll just leave this here." She slid a piece of paper over to him. He curiously reached over, grabbed it, then opened it.

"You really think that I'd call you?"

She smiled. "Sooner or later."

Louis led her out the door. His face looked a little confused and hurt, but he seemed like he was trying to mask it. Right before the door shut, Jenna turned and peeked into the room.

"What's your name, detective?" she asked.

"It's trainee, actually -- not detective."

He closed his folder and walked up to her, staring into her eyes. Now he really looks like a Russian Model.

"It's Daniel," he whispered into her ear. "Remember me?"

She tried to recollect the lost information in her head. Who was this guy?

"No, I don't." she turned around. "Who are you?"

He smiled and stared at her. "Jen, It's me." 

Scared and confused about what was happening, she turned around to see Louis staring at them with a broken face. She realized that she and the detective were speaking really close to each other, and backed off to keep Louis from misunderstanding. 

"Answer me clearly. Who are you?"

He smiled a half smile.

"I guess you'll have to wait and see now, wont you?"

She walked backwards, slowly turning around as she heard the click of the door shutting. 

Louis walked over to her and held her hand.

"Now what was that all about?" 

She tried to smile, but she was still trying to remember. Who could this guy be? Who was Daniel?

"I don't know," she said, "but I want to leave. Let's go."