{12}

May hated everything about the 'Argo III'.

Why was it called the Argo III anyway? What happened to the other two Argos? Did they sink or something? Frankly, May couldn't care less. She hated the musty smell below deck, filling her nostrils with an acrid scent as she slept. She hated how the only food they ever ate was sandwiches; every lunch and dinner, even sometimes breakfast. She hated how the waves rocked the boat while she was trying to sleep, which were relaxing if they were constant and rhythmic, but no. They only happened every so often, just to keep May in a constant state of insomnia. She hated how she had to share a room, and with all people Zoë. She always was reading, whether it was at night with her brighter-than-the-sun reading light, or on the deck. The girl refused to get sick sea. Speaking of sea sick, that's how May was feeling right now. Her insides were ruthless and unforgiving. Her light head felt like it could snap off at any moment and roll into the sea. Her legs felt like lead as they dangled off the side of the vessel. She wondered how anyone could stand it. She clutched her stomach, throwing her head back to look at the night sky. Stars pierced the darkness. It was never like this in New York City, too much smog and pollution. Most of the stuff you see in the sky were airplanes, fake stars so to speak. But in the ocean, you could see everything. Constellations, galaxies, even other planets. She whined, not being able to enjoy this phenomenon. She and the rest of the Quarter-Bloods had been on the ship for only days, but it felt like an eternity. And speaking of the others, they were all below deck, playing whatever board games Castor had stashed.

You look like you're having a fun time," Zoë sat down next her to, a can of coke in her hand.
"Cut the crap, I'm not feeling well," May barked, leaninging her against the railing. The coldness of the metal helped relieve some of the pressure in her sinuses, but not much. Zoë offered her a sip of her drink, but May declined.
"Suit yourself," Zoë shrugged
"How come you never get sea sick?" May complained.
"Grandchild of Poseidon, it's sort of a perk," Zoë replied, sipping on her soda.
"Why aren't you with everyone else?" May asked.
Zoë set her jaw and frowned. "Because it's Scrabble night,"
"So?"
"Luke always kicks my ass."
May raised an eyebrow at her. "Luke?"
Zoë grimaced. "He's a lot smarter than what people give him credit for."
"Well, he can be a jackass sometimes," May cringed. "What's with his vendetta against Silena?"
Zoë stiffened at the mention of her name. "I think he likes her," she said quietly. May noticed her gripping the ship a little more tightly. She restrained herself from asking questions. "Sometimes they just need to get a room. It's gross."
"Amen to that," May added.
The two were silent for a moment, lost in their own thoughts. "You know, all of this is too weird," Zoë piped up.
"What do you mean?"
"I've been hearing about spirits, monsters, and gods, since I was three. And yet, nothing like this has ever happened. I haven't really gotten a chance to live it yet." Zoë explained, tracing her thumb around the rim of the can. "All of this is so new to you and yet, you're just accepting it."
May shrugged. "If it's really my- our- destiny, do we really have a choice?"
"You're just so brave, all of the time," she griped. "I don't understand how you do it."
May was at a loss for words. "I-It sort of happens, you know? If you don't adapt you'll never fit in anywhere."
Zoë down the rest of the coke in one gulp. "Do you ever feel like you don't fit in?"
"With other people?"
"I'm not talking about socially. It's like--" She tried to pinpoint an exact phrasing. "Do you just feel different from other people, in certain ways."
May scoffed. "Biggest understatement of the year." Zoë didn't acknowledge her joke, rather just looked soberly out into the ocean. "Do you?" May asked, after several moments of silence passed.
"Yeah, sometimes." Her somber attitude shattered as she saw the concerning look on May's face. "I'm gonna go inside."
But as Zoë walked away, May couldn't help but wonder what she was referring too.