[1] open eyes

The departure hall was eerily silent. It almost felt like the calm before the storm, so still yet so heavy. His eyes scanned the rows of seats, occupied by persons from all walks of life. They sat in their own worlds; reading newspapers, using their smartphones.

Hector didn't fancy the silence. But perhaps it was the stillness that allowed his eyes to find the rose among the thorns. She sat alone, in the corner of the room, looking out longingly into the starless night sky.

Even from where he stood, he knew she was beautiful. Her eyes seemed tired, like they had seen more than they had bargained for. But the small smile on her lips told him that maybe she was much happier than she seemed.

He took a deep breath and walked over to her, his luggage rolling across the floor behind him. The seat beside her was vacant, so he hastily occupied it.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?" He blurted out. Damn, that sounded better in my head. The girl turned to look at him, before chuckling quietly. "Are you flirting with me?" She probed, her weary eyes now twinkling as she smiled widely in amusement.

Hector laughed nervously. "No," he lied. The smile on her lips never faded, and she laughed again. "Since you humored me, I'll let it slide."

He tilted his head, interested to know more about this individual. He was amazed she didn't shun him, but instead seemed to welcome his presence. "So," he began, "where are you headed to?"

"Malaysia," she said without hesitation. She wasn't one to shy away from random conversations, that was for sure. "I have a two day conference," she explained.

Hector caught a glimpse of the pamphlet she was clutching. He hadn't noticed it before, but when he did his eyes widened. Kuala Lumpur: neurologists conference 2014, it displayed. "You're a doctor?" He asked.

She glanced at the pamphlet before quickly stuffing it into her bag, as if she was embarrassed by the title. "Yeah," she simply said, smiling shyly. But Hector on the contrary, was enthralled. "Wow," he gaped, "I've always admired doctors."

The girl raised an eyebrow curiously, "you've wanted to become a doctor yourself?" He laughed, shaking his head, "I'm just a humble footballer. You on the other hand, are a lifesaver."