[2] grey skies

A small smile formed on her lips, "I just do my job."

"It's never really just a job is it?" He narrowed his eyes at her. "What do you mean?" She asked curiously.

"I mean, you tend to patients daily, you care for them, support them. It becomes more of a way of life for you," he described. The girl raised her eyebrows, impressed by how this man who called himself a footballer spoke like he was really a doctor. "You sound like a doctor, yourself."

"My teammate's brother is a doctor. Great guy," Hector smiled to himself.

He turned to look at her. And he finally saw, despite the tiredness surrounding her eyes, they were actually filled with life. This woman had been through so much, and yet her eyes sparkled like she had been to heaven and back.

"It never is easy for us," she smiled at him warmly. "Maybe we do save lives, but we also see life being snatched away just like that. Sometimes, even after we tried our best." She tore her eyes away from his and gazed into the sky.

Hector furrowed his eyebrows. He was pretty sure being around death was anything but pleasant. "And how do you handle that?" He asked.

"It's knowing that when I die one day, at least I've left my mark here," she said. "Even if I've saved just one life, at least I've made a difference in this world."

"Maybe that's what being a doctor is about; making a difference," she uttered before smiling to herself. "Or maybe that's just what it means to be alive."

She turned to face Hector, who was watching her appreciatively. "You truly are an angel," he gushed. The girl laughed, slapping his arm lightly. "Enough about me, what about you?" She smirked.

"I'm nothing special, I just kick balls for a living," he chuckled, making her tilt her head in laughter. Before she could reply, an announcement rang through the speakers. "Passengers of Malaysian Airlines Flight 317 please proceed to boarding."

The girl ran a hand through her hair, "that's my cue. Sorry about that –" she stared at him, hoping he would finish her sentence with his name. "Hector," he smiled. The girl mirrored his smile, only it was much more captivating in his eyes.

"Pauline," she said before standing up, clutching her backpack tightly. "I hope to see you again," Hector said before he could stop himself. Pauline grinned, "me too."

Before turning away, she flashed him one last smile. "Goodnight, Hector."

With that, she walked off. Hector watched her, wondering how he had been so lucky to chance upon someone whose existence revolved around saving lives. He really did hope to see her again.