I

Summer 1532

Black leather boots hit the sandy brown floors in a hurry as the regal man rushed through the comfortable home built from clay bricks. An eager grin stretched across his wrinkled face. The skirt of his plain olive over gown swept the floor. He did not care. He was determined to get to his family. They were waiting for him in the dining hall. Waiting to hear the reason that he had summoned them all from their daily activities. He would happily share that reason with them. He had been awaiting this day. The man had been anxiously expecting the moment when he would be handed the letter that meant his duty was complete. He knew it would be soon. He would have never guessed how soon.

When he entered the dining hall of his private home, his family was present. His son – tall, slim, and handsome with chestnut hair and emerald eyes - stood behind the chair at the foot of the long table. He had one hand braced on the top of it holding onto the round wooden ornament and the other was on his hip. The man's wife sat to his son's right with her hands folded on the table top. Her back was straight as always. Finally, there was the man's daughter. The young girl was sitting comfortably on the bench in front of the wide window looking out at the grounds with an expression of longing. The man knew this news would please her the most. She was born a curious girl, always willing to experience new things.

"Father, what is going on?" The son, Byron Remington, questioned. "Why have you called for us?" He continued to press as his cream-colored hands clasped together.

The wife, Cadhla, nodded her head. On it she wore a hood of blue made from soft cloth. "Yes, Thomas, why are we here?" Her foreign accent – rich from her African heritage – filled the hall. The ebony skin of her exceptionally elegant face was pulled tight with worry. Her coal eyes narrowed.

Thomas held up his hand. The one that was holding the parchment which was recently delivered to him. "It is time." Those three simple words caused his son stand straighter, his wife stiffened her body, and his daughter turned her head to pay attention.

"After seventeen years?" Byron questioned eagerly. He had been the tender age of four when his father was sent to these lands to act as ambassador. Byron, and Thomas, had returned home a handful of times; when his cousin was married, when his aunt got sick, when his mother got sick, and after the queen died. Father and son never stayed for more than a couple of months at a time. Then they always had to return so that Thomas could continue to do what was asked of him.

Thomas nodded his head confirming his son's words. "Yes, and for good this time. My duties are complete here. We are no longer needed to establish relations with the Moors." He grinned happily.

Cadhla continued not to speak. She was an African Moor herself – niece to the king and daughter of a great general. She had been brought into Thomas's home upon his initial arrival. His wife needed assistance settling into the new lands. Cadhla's mother and aunt felt she would be the perfect person to help the late Lady Remington. From that first day, Cadhla became an essential part of the foreigners' living arrangements. She cared for Byron while his mother's health ailed. After Thomas saved one of the king's advisor's life when a mercenary attempted to poison him, he was awarded with the privilege of choosing any woman in the Moor lands to take as his second wife. He chose to marry Cadhla.

"When will we journey?" Byron questioned brining Cadhla's thoughts back to the present.

Thomas took a seat at the head of the table. "We shall leave after we dine on breakfast. We will travel by carriage to our country home in Brisbane."

Byron nodded his head. "Will Uncle meet us there?" He questioned while absently tugging his hair which was held back by a single white ribbon.

Thomas shook his head. "No, my brother is now a great advisor to the king. He will not be able to leave court."