6 - Unleashing The Beast

6 – Unleashing the Beast

The next fight they had would mark the beginning of their war that would rage for the years to come. It was the Friday before the fourth of July weekend and it all started out rather innocently. Marcus came home with a bunch of groceries, declaring that he was planning on having a few of his friends over for a barbecue on Sunday.

"Is she gonna come?" was my mom's first question.

"Who?" Though he played ignorant, his lips were puckered and I couldn't shake the feeling that he knew exactly what my mom was getting at.

"Kerry."

The name hung over the kitchen like a nuclear cloud.

"Yeah, she's coming." He slammed the can of beans onto the counter. "For the record, she's one of my oldest friends. I'm not gonna stop inviting her because you don't like her."

"Like her?" My mom's voice was shrill and I instinctively covered my ears, though her loud words still made it through. "I fucking despise that bitch. I don't want her in my house."

"Chantal." The darkness in Marcus's eyes made me cringe. "This is not your house. You're not contributing anything to this relationship, so do yourself a favor and shut up."

"I'm your fucking wife." My mom kicked hard against the kitchen cabinet. "I demand some respect."

Marcus snorted. "Respect is something you earn, my dear." His gaze flit around the kitchen. "Look at this place. You're totally worthless. The dishes are still around from last night's dinner and you haven't even bothered starting the laundry. Face it, Chantal. You're a slob and don't deserve anyone's respect."

"I hate you." My mom's voice was trembling as she fought with her tears. "I bet you're still screwing her."

A sly smile crawled on Marcus's lips. "So what if I am?" He laughed. "What are you gonna do, Chantal? Leave me." His arms spread out in an inviting gesture. "Go right ahead. See if I care."

The smack of the slap that landed on Marcus's cheek went straight to the core of my bones. I stared at my mom with wide eyes before gazing at him. His face was absolutely thunderstruck.

"Bitch, did you just seriously slap me?" The words were so cold that they froze my blood. His fingers wrapped around my mom's throat and he lifted her up without any effort. Her body flew across the kitchen and crashed into the wall next to the trash can. She couldn't keep her balance and toppled to the floor, taking the bin with her. The garbage spilled out and covered half her body.

Marcus chuckled. "There you have it. Trash belongs to trash."

"Arghh." My mom was back on her feet. Without hesitation, she lunged at Marcus.

He blocked her punch, his fist burying itself in her stomach. When she doubled over and gasped for air, I wanted to scream, but my vocal cords were paralyzed. In absolute horror, I watched as he tossed her across the floor once again. This time, he followed. As he kicked the shit out of her, her crying and pleading was ignored.

My voice finally returned. "STOP! You're hurting my mommy!"

He gazed at me through cloudy eyes—it was as if he was in a daze.

After that, the whole kitchen disappeared behind a curtain of tears. I jumped up and ran into my room, slamming the door behind me. Sobs battled my body when I slumped onto the bed. I was utterly confused. Though I blamed my mom for hitting Marcus, I was scared out of my mind that he kicked her so much. What if he really hurt her? What if she had to go back to the hospital, or worst yet, what if she died?