IV

Two weeks later

Marissa

"God damn it!" I yelled as I threw a file against the wall. It had been two weeks since I had moved to St. Petersburg, and I have no leads on the killer. Two weeks of asking around, flirting with drunks, and failure.

I was sitting at my desk in my office, frustrated. It was like this guy was a ghost. Every time I find a lead, it turned out to be a wild goose chase. It seemed as if the killer was always two steps ahead of me, and I was fed up. I should've let Hudson come with me. It would be a hell of a lot easier with him here.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door.

"Alyssa, is everything okay? I heard you shouting." Snow said, her voice muffled from the door.

"Um, yeah." I lied, forcing my voice to sound calm. "I just stubbed my toe."

"Oh...ok." Snow said, her voice uncertain. "We're out of milk, I'm going to the store."

"Alright." I said, my voice becoming tired. I heard Snow walk away.

I sighed and ran my hands through my face. I need a beer.

Just as I got up to grab a beer from the refrigerator, my phone rang. I grabbed it and pressed answer, not bothering to see who it was.

"What?" I barked.

"Well hello to you too, stranger." I heard Hudson say.

"Hudson!" I said happily, my anger fading. "You have no idea how happy I am to hear your voice!"

"Rough week?" Hudson asked.

"You have no idea." I laughed. "Two weeks and nothing."

"Really? Usually, you have some kind of information on the unsub."

"It's like this guy is a ghost, he doesn't seem to lead any trail, and he's always to steps ahead of me." I said, frustration clear in my voice.

"That's actually what I called you about." Hudson said. I almost cried in relief.

"What?" I said, my voice frantic.

"We have information about a man named John Castello." Hudson said. "They have a file on him at a police station in Saint Bernard Parish, it's a few miles away from the town your in."

"Hudson, thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm heading there now." I yelled as I ran out my office and towards the front door.

"Wait, Marissa-" I ended the call, cutting off Hudson. I laid my phone on the kitchen table, grabbed my keys and helmet, and left.

❇❇❇❇

I didn't even bother to turn of the motor as I arrived at the police station. At some point it had started raining and I was freezing my ass off, since I didn't have a coat, but I didn't care. I finally had a lead, a real one.

I ran towards the door and tried to open it.

But it wouldn't open. Maybe it's push, not pull.

I pushed at the door, but to no avail.

"No, no, no, no." I whispered frantically. I started pushing and pulling at the door like a madwoman, but I knew it was useless.

"Hello?! Is anybody in there?!" I yelled, pounding on the door. As I pounded my fist on the door, I felt my last remaining piece of patience slip. Keep it together, Frost. Keep it together. I took a few deep breaths, and headed back to my motorcycle.