Chapter 24

"When the day has come that I've lost my way around. And the seasons stop and hide beneath the ground. When the sky turns gray and everything is screaming. I will reach inside just to find my heart is beating." - Bleeding Out by Imagine Dragons

Chapter 24

Christy's POV

I pulled my body away from Harry's, already missing his arms around me, to see Mikey draping a blanket over the stained seats. He smiled apologetically at me. Harry's hand rested on the small of my back. I felt secure and safe; something I always felt when he was touching me.

"Why don't you sit in the front seat?" Harry whispered in my ear. I nodded, unable to face the painful memories just yet. My legs still felt weak and stiff and I was desperate for an actual night's sleep. He helped me walk to the front seat, keeping his hand on me until I was sitting in the seat then he closed the door, shutting me alone in the car.

The windows were cracked slightly and I could hear the faint conversation between Harry and Mikey.

"This car is shot to shit, Mikey." Harry said, kicking the tire.

"Yeah, we're probably gonna have to steal a car in the next town." The idea of doing something else illegal made my stomach churn. When did I become a criminal.

Harry and Mikey soon got into the car. The car sounded like it had some trouble as Mikey started, the engine clattering slightly. Hopefully, we would make it to the next town before it exploded. I reached my hand behind the seat, hoping Harry would hold it. Luckily, I didn't look like an idiot as he laced our fingers together. It wasn't one of the most comfortable positions for either one of us, but I think we both needed to touch one another; to know that we were still here with each other.

As Mikey drove onto the main road, heading for the highway, I realized we didn't have a plan or a place to go. We didn't where Andrew was. We didn't when or if Andrew was going to come find us. We didn't know anything. We were playing it by ear and the idea scared the living hell out of me.

"Where are we even going?" I asked. I could feel Harry habitually drawing small circles on the top of my hand with his thumb.

"Where ever the road takes us, I guess." Mikey said, keeping his eyes on the road. I looked down in between the seat and the console and my eyes immediately fell on the gun wedged there. Suddenly, I became very aware of the throbbing surfacing around my gunshot wound. I adjusted my body, attempting to ease the pain, but it didn't work. It only made it worse.

"Babe," Harry spoke. "What's wrong?" Of course, he would notice.

"Yeah, fine." I grunted, pretending to sound normal, but I didn't and I knew immediately he would see through me.

"Bullshit." He said, leaning forward and releasing my hand. "Mikey, there's a gas station right up here. Pull over."

"Harry, I'm fine." I gripped my side as the throbbing increased.

"Yeah, clearly." Mikey chimed in as he glanced over at me.

"Mikey, please, pull over." Harry said, his head now inbetween our two seats. Mikey didn't answer as he slowed down slightly and turned into the gas station parking lot.

Before the car was fully stopped, Harry was out of the door, running around to my door. He opened my door, helping me down and onto my feet.

"I'm think I'm gonna go in and get some Advil or something." I said.

"Okay, then. Let's go." Harry said. I put my hand on his chest to stop him from moving forward.

"Harry, can I please go by myself?" I pleaded. He looked at me with shock and betrayal in his eyes. "You've been by my side ever since I woke up. Ever since we left the hospital. I love you, but please, let me breathe." Wow, I sound like a bitch.