James and Lily

Lily arrived back at the castle a few days later accompanied by Alice, Severus, Frank, Remus and Peter. She was almost knocked off her feet when James asked her out but said yes immediately. Lily did nothing but talk to Hermione about him, in the Great Hall one day. After a couple of hours of talking about nothing but James, Lily realised it was beginning to get to Hermione as hard as she tried to hide it.

"It's fine. I've got nothing to be sad about." Hermione told her, "He was never mine to begin with."

Hermione didn't know why she was still there, though. She had done everything she needed to and yet she didn't want to leave. Not yet anyway. These people were some of the best friends Hermione had ever had. She did miss Harry and Ron terribly still and wanted nothing more than to see them again but when she left here, she was gone for good. She wanted to spend as much time as possible with everyone before she left them, especially Lily and James.

"We're not going to tell anyone yet." James told Hermione while he held Lily's left hand tightly in his right, "Not even Sirius, Remus or Peter know. Maybe at the beginning of next year I'll let everyone know but, for now, I want it to be between me, Lily and my closest friends." He added.

"Do you know when you're leaving?" Lily asked her, letting go of James' hand as a few Hufflepuffs passed their table. Hermione shook her head and shrugged her shoulders, "Not yet. I don't want to leave just yet. I was thinking one last trip to Hogsmeade before I go, just to say goodbye." Hermione suggested and Lily and James seemed to think this was a fantastic idea.

"Yes! The Hogsmeade trip is tomorrow. How about then?" James asked Hermione.

Tomorrow? That was a lot sooner than Hermione had thought. Tomorrow was her last day here. The last time she would see James or Lily. The last time Severus would be nice to her. The last time she would be able to see Frank or Alice. And it upset her. But she knew she couldn't stay there forever.

"That'd be great!" Hermione grinned at them.

She made her way to Charms alone and met up with Fred and George on her way.

"We're leaving tomorrow night. Everything is sorted so you better start saying your goodbyes to The Marauders." She said to a devastated looking Fred and George.

"Tomorrow?" Fred spluttered, "But we've not even been here that long?"

"We'll not be able to do all the things we've planned!" George sulked, folding his arms together and dropping his head like a small child.

Hermione smiled at them. Whether they got on her nerves or not they always did seem to cheer her up, even if she didn't show it.

"Get a picture with them if you're that desperate. Just don't show anyone when we get back."

She left the twins and walked the rest of the way to Charms so that she could sit there alone for a while, while she waited for the rest of the class to arrive. Professor Flitwick was fine with Hermione sitting in the room while he marked some essays for a couple of third years. She sat on the back row and looked through the pictures of her and James and had a voice at the back of her head telling her to tear them all in half. She ignored the voice though. These would be her only way to look back soon. She had also had a picture of her and Lily from when it had been snowing. The snow was shin-deep and then were both wrapped up in hats, gloves, scarves and thick coats to keep out the cold. It was them laughing at Sirius pulling a face behind Severus when he had been taking the picture. Only Hermione, Fred and George could ever know these pictures existed.

*

The next day James, Lily and Hermione went through the passage and came out in the basement of the shop. Hermione wasn't bothered where they went today she just wanted to enjoy her last few hours with Harry's parents. The went to the Three Broomsticks for a couple of hours to relax and have something to eat and drink. Hermione ate every bite of her sausage sandwich and drank all of her butterbeer and then sat back in her chair. She excused herself and went to get another drink. When she returned to the table James and Lily had gone. They were nowhere to be seen.

She drank her butterbeer quickly and left the pub to go and look for them. She didn't know where they could have gone in such a short amount of time. She decided to rest her aching feet for a minute and sat down on a bench. When she was least expecting it Hermione was surprised by Lily sneaking up behind her with a bag. It was a gorgeous beaded bag that Hermione had never seen her carry before.

"We put our money together and got you this. As a thank you." James told her as Lily handed over the bag. Hermione looked at the fine detail and opened it up to see inside.

"It has an undectable extension charm." Lily said, "It's not much but we wanted something to give you as a way of saying goodbye."

Hermione clutched the bag tightly to her chest and grinned until she felt a massive discomfort in her cheeks, "I love it!"

Hermione used the last bit of her money to get James a new jacket and then she got Lily a new set of books. As the sun began to set they made their way back to the castle in silence. When she arrived back she said goodbye to all of her new friends. Lily had lied and said that Hermione, Fred and George were going back to their old school. Everyone gathered for a group picture and even Sirius didn't seem to mind when Severus joined the group. Three were taken; one for Hermione and one each from Fred and George.

She said goodbye to everyone for a final time and the three of them made their way to Dumbledore's office.

"What are you going to do about your clothes?" Lily asked as the rounded the corner. Hermione shrugged her shoulders and thought, "You can have them if you want. I don't need them anymore."

The arrived outside his office, Hermione said the password and the five of them entered. Dumbledore was sat reading behind his desk and lifted his head when he heard their voices.

"Is everything sorted?" He asked Hermione. After she replied with a nod, Dumbledore stood and they all saw the impressive detailing on his robes. They were lilac and were decorated golden swirls and moons. He beckoned the twins and Hermione closer and opened a small cupboard Hermione had only just noticed.

"I'm afraid this is going to be your home for the next twenty years." He told them, "You need to be hid somewhere your other selves won't see."

Hermione didn't seem bothered as she barged past and hid inside the tiny room. She didn't understand what Dumbledore was going to do. All she knew was she was going see everyone again; Harry, Ron, Neville, Ginny, her mum and dad. The twins entered after seeming unsure about what was going to happen but they seemed a little excited too.

Before Dumbledore could move a muscle Lily and James had ran inside and threw their arms around the three of them.

"Don't forget us, okay?" Lily asked her, beginning to cry onto Hermione's shoulder. Hermione laughed into Lily's hair and said in a calming voice, "How could I forget you? Don't worry, I'll take good care of Crookshanks."

Lily backed away and left room for James to bid farewell. He pecked Hermione on the cheek and waved at her as he joined Lily's side again. Hermione made sure she had the beaded bag Lily and James had bought her and held it close to her as Dumbledore entered the doorway again and raised his wand to eye-level.

The last thing Hermione saw of either Lily or James was them raising their hands in farewell.