Part 1

Ben's P.O.V.

What was happening? When did it start? I couldn't answer these questions. Besides, it was too late. I caught it too late. I knew Cassie was changing, but I figured she was just stressed from work or the kids. Whenever I tried to ask, she would shut me out.

Occasionally, she would let it out, rant about whatever it was that was bothering her, but I knew she wasn't getting down to the core of her problems, about what was really bothering her. As her husband, I'm incredibly worried that I'm not making our marriage work.

I have been gone quite a bit lately, but I was planning to cut back as soon as the Imitation Game promos were done because I miss spending time with her and our kids.

I met Cassie when she was just transferring over to Manchester University from New York University for the semester. Well, it was supposed to be one semester, but we fell in love and I asked her to stay. She did. We moved in together about a year later and we were the happiest we could be.

A few months later, Cassie got pregnant with our son Elliott. We were still college students and had a quick decision to make. We opted to keep our little boy. She didn't want to rush into marriage, which I completely respected, but she still gave Elliott my last name.

We struggled like any young parents would, especially when we still had school. We made sure to make our schedule where one of us can be home, while the other is in class. We also took up two jobs. It was the most difficult time in our lives, but my girl graduated with honors, as did I. Our jobs at the market and the theater were no more because we picked up real, full-time jobs.

I ended up quitting my job because I wasn't happy. My lovely girl understood and told me to follow my dreams of being an actor. By now, our little boy was turning one and my goal for our family was to be able to support it.

I wanted Elliott to have even bigger birthdays than his first because we were only able to afford a small cake and no candles. Cassie's parents would wire us money when my acting career didn't pick up and we made sure to use it for Elliott first and us second.

Unfortunately, the acting took a turn for the worst. I didn't find a gig for nearly two months and ended up being a stay at home dad, while Cassie was the one who supported us. I got an earful from her dad and my mum, which made me get my old job back at the theater. I cleaned the stage and seats after each performance.

I was disappointed with my job, with how I hadn't been able to support my girlfriend and son. I came home one night almost in tears because I had to clean up a show my old college mate was in. Cassie held me all night as I cried in her arms (more than our son had that day, I'm sure) and encouraged me to quit and go back out and audition wherever I could.

A few weeks later, I got the lead role at a local theater. It ran for three weeks and the pay was fairly decent. By Elliott's second birthday, I was getting gigs all over London and was able to get him a decent cake, candles, and a few toys. Between Cassie and I, we were doing very well for ourselves and our son.

About two years later, I got booked for a T.V. show in Africa. Cassie, who was still my girlfriend, was over the moon for me, even though I was going to be gone for four months. I didn't feel right leaving my four year old and mother of my child alone for that long, but Cassie assured me it was fine.

It ended up being the complete opposite.

Three months into filming, myself and some cast mates got kidnapped at gunpoint. I pleaded them to keep me alive for the sake of my little boy. He and Cassie flooded my mind the entire time and once we were let loose, I had never been more thankful for my life and vowed to live it less ordinary.