Honey I shrunk... Myself

Today was Dad's first night on the job, and he was just about to leave his crappy little apartment. I said I'd stay behind and tidy up a bit for when he got back, despite the never ending stream of protests. So here we were, in his tiny living room, while I recited off my checklist things he should have with him.

"Keys!"

"Yup," he spun them round his finger with a jingle.

"Flashlight!"

"Right here," he turned it on and shone it in my eyes.

I squinted and glared before reading the last item; "Instructions!... Wait why do you need instructions?"

"Yeah they're here and there for... erm... security measures, ya know?... Like... erm.... what to do in case of a fire!"

I cocked an eyebrow disbelievingly at him; "Dad... even Nicky knows what to do in case of a fire... shouldn't you kind of know without instructions?"

He looked at a loss as he stammered; "That's not the only thing on them... erm... there's... look I've read them okay, I know what I'm doing, Shay."

"Good... do you know the most important rule though?" I asked.

"What?" he asked in disbelief.

"Don't be late, which you're gonna be if you don't get out of the door right now," I laughed as I pointed towards the door; "Go!"

He grinned as he leaned in and kissed my cheek before scurrying towards the door. I got a quick "bye, honey!" before the door inevitably shut again.

It was one of those times... you know when it's just you alone in the house and the silence seems to echo? Yeah...

I sighed before turning around the face the rest of the apartment. In all fairness, there wasn't that much to tidy up, just some glasses from when we had something to drink after getting back from the museum earlier. I headed over to the sink and filled it up before dunking the glasses in.

I watched as the bubbled swirled around in the glass before heaving another sigh and drying them off to put back in the cupboards. Once I'd done the dishes, I wandered over to the living room and turned on the TV, completely missing the fact there was a massive brown paper bag on the kitchen counter with Dad's supper/breakfast in it. 

I flicked through the channels and saw that FRIENDS was about to start, so I decided I'd watch the two back-to-back episodes before heading home.

The credits for the second episode had just finished streaming, and I left the TV on purely for some background noise as I gathered my stuff to go home.

I was busying myself pulling one of my shoes on when another advert came on.

"Do you want to keep your pack up fresh when you head off to work? Well drop the brown paper bags and try our new airtight plastic sandwich bags...!"

Oh no...

I glanced over at the kitchen counter and sure enough, the brown paper bag with Dad's food still stood there, practically laughing at me.

I hurriedly pulled on my other shoe before turning the TV off, grabbing the bag, switching the lights off and locking Dad's door.

I fumbled in my pocket for my car keys as I tried to balance Dad's food in my arms, eventually finding them as I stepped outside into the night.

I pressed the button and the car beeped to life. I swung myself into the drivers seat, and placed the brown bag in the passenger seat. I'd take Dad his food and then head home. He'd starve if he didn't have anything.