Prologue

Sirens. Sirens were everywhere. Policemen and detectives were scattered around. I looked around and saw the parents outside their house talking to the detectives. Oh no, I think. I knew something was up with the conversation I had with her earlier. Now, I know you might be confused, but I'll tell you what happened from the beginning.
* * *

"May I take your order?"

"Yes, I'll have the Caesar Salad with a Coke."

"Now what's on the menu? Me-n-u."

"Now what's your name?"

"Chelsea."

"Hmm, Chelsea. Well, we have salads, steak, or, we have the Spicy Rice Special if you're hot."

"Really? Well, Spicy Rice Special it is then, with sweet tea."

The waiter threw a quick wink and walked off into the kitchen.

"What was that?" I asked Chelsea, trying not to be angry.

"What was what?"

"You know," I nudged my head towards the kitchen. "Him."

"That's....not really anything, sweetie. We were just goofing around."

Yeah, 'goofing around'.

Chelsea frowned and then suddenly bent down to rummage through her purse. "My hair needs to be perfect for him—I mean you."

I sighed and drummed my fingers on the table, glancing around the room. Why am I even here? If stupid Josh wouldn't have set me up with this chick, this wouldn't be happening.

My drumming slowed to a stop when I looked over at this girl.

She looked quite depressed, resting her head on her palm and staring sadly at the menu.

Me-n-u. Ugh.

The girl was soon out of my vision as Chelsea raised her head up with a bedazzled hairbrush.

"So, what did you order?"

Really? You were there. "Caesar Salad."

"Sorry, what?"

"Excuse me?"

"I was—hold on." Chelsea said as she pulled out a container of lipstick.

I slowly lowered my head to the table and began hitting it over and over.

Bang.
Bang.
Bang.

"And here are your drinks," the waiter placed down my Coke and Chelsea's sweet tea.

I abruptly lifted my head up and smiled at the waiter—well, I didn't mean it of course, but I had to be nice.

I looked at his name tag. Jason.
I officially hate the name Jason.

Chelsea looked at him dreamily and her eyes followed him all the way back to the kitchen.

"So," I said as I fiddled with my straw.

"So." Her eyes shifted back towards me.

"How's your day?"

"Fine, I guess."

Wow, great conversation starter, Jett. "Cool, cool."

"And lastly, here's your food." Jason said smoothly before placing Chelsea's Spicy Rice and my salad on the table.

"Wow," Chelsea said with an impressed expression on her face. "That was fast."

"Anything for you."