little pink plus sign // 1

A/N: Hey lovelies! So there so there is swearing, pregnancy, and abortion all involved in this chapter, so if you are bothered or triggered by any of these things, be cautious <3

You held the small plastic piece, strangely exhilarated. This whole week had been pretty dull, and even though this wasn't something you wanted, it was at least something to think about. Although, the wait was killing you. You sat cross legged, the cold tiled bathroom floor sending chills up your bare thighs.

Finally, it appeared, uninvited... "Well, fuck." That little pink plus sign stared up at you with great stubbornness. You'd seen it in countless teen movies, normally accompanied by a crying woman and an angry boyfriend. But you didn't feel like you were going to cry, and you were sure Dan wouldn't be mad.

What a letdown.

After a moment, you pushed yourself up from your position on the ground, back aching. You quickly threw the pregnancy test into the garbage can before walking down the hall to the living room.

"Hey, uh, Dan. Can we talk?" You were standing in the doorway, your eyes fixated on your boyfriend who seemed to be peacefully going about with his everyday life: browsing Tumblr. His gaze shifted towards you, and he looked slightly concerned.

"Yeah of course. What is it?" He knew there must be something up since normally you wouldn't ask 'can we talk?' you'd just talk. That's generally how communication went.

You started winding a strand of your hair around your finger, trying to think of the right way to phrase this. But nothing seemed the right way, so you just said it. "I'm pregnant."

There was a stunned silence, and then "What?"

"Well you see, your sperm seems to have—"

Dan shut his laptop and stood up so you two were looking eye to eye. Well actually, he was quite taller than you were, so it was more eye to clavicle. "Yes, I know what pregnancy is Y/N. You're sure?"

"Yes, I am. Unless my test lied, which is a possibility I guess."

Dan mulled this over for a moment. "Do you... Do you want to keep it?"

You laughed "Oh, God no." You loved kids, but you weren't done being an idiotic self-centered young adult. If you were to be a parent, you'd want to be able to give them the world, not the messy wreck that was your current life.

Dan looked relieved. "Thank God, because I'm not ready to be a Dad." His long fingers ran through his dark hair, a gesture he did absently when he was deep in thought. Or just checking his fringe. "What do we do now?"

That was the question wasn't it? You didn't know how much abortions cost, or if it was even too early for you to get one. "I'll do some research, and look into finding an abortion clinic. Meanwhile, you could..." Your stomach convulsed, and suddenly you knew with utter certainty you were about to be sick all over the floor if you didn't act fast.

Turning on your heel, you sprinted back to the bathroom, your shoulder hitting the door frame on the way in. You dropped to your knees, emptying the contents of your stomach violently into toilet. Your whole body was shaking, which was strange since you had felt perfectly fine merely seconds before.

Dan came behind you and pulled the hair from your face, tying it off with an elastic that was lying on the floor. He rubbed circles into your back as you continued to heave into the toilet, murmuring comforting words under his breath.

Once you'd finished, Dan handed you a glass of water, and you gulped it down graciously. "Looks like the little bastard heard our plan," he laughed, and you smiled up at him crookedly.

"I didn't know fetuses could hear."

"They're psychic."

"Ah. That explains it then."

He reached out a hand and pulled you to your feet. You still felt light headed, and he sensed this since he didn't let go of you as you walked back to the living room. "Since you have a creature growing inside you, I'm going to use this as an excuse to spoil you." He plopped you down on the couch, and you grunted in protest.

"We're literally about to pull it out! I wouldn't really call this the miracle of life or anything." You said incredulously. But he just shook his head at you, and threw a blanket over your head, coating your vision in darkness. "Oh Dan, for the love of God."

"Just put on a show or something, I'll do the research." You rolled your eyes, although this little break would be nice. You'd been stressed all week. "Do you want me to get you a hot water bottle or something?" You nodded at him, changing the input on your TV.

Wow, if only he treated you like this when you got your period.

He walked back in and handed you the water bottle before nestling in beside you. You twisted your body until your cheek was rested against Dan's chest, and your body was in optimum comfort. He pulled his computer closer and used one hand to type, the other to play with your hair.

You turned on (add your favourite show) and watched absently as you tried to ignore your nausea. Turns out when you try this hard to ignore something, it then becomes your number one thought. Maybe a different tactic next time.

"Alright, there's a clinic about a fifteen-minute drive away, but they close at 8:00. Do you wanna just go now, or wait until tomorrow?" you didn't really feel like getting up, but you knew if you didn't go now you'd be lying awake all night anticipating it.

"Let's just do it."

~

It had started raining, and by the time you left the clinic it was full on pouring. You didn't try to cover yourself as you stepped out onto the street, relishing the cold droplets running down your skin. You felt slightly dizzy from the general anesthetics they had given you but other than that you felt the same. You were a little crampy, but this was not an unfamiliar feeling.

Dan opened the passenger door for you, and you gave him a small smile before stepping in. You always enjoyed driving in the rain, watching as the water streamed down the glass, connecting and separating at unpredictable places. You thought maybe people were like that: their lives running together until the wind drives them in opposite directions.

"If I had to have a child with anyone, I'd want it to be you." You whispered. Dan's brown eyes didn't leave the road as he drove, and you knew this was a sign that he was deep in thought.

After a while he replied. "One day, I'd love that. You're the loveliest person I've ever been with, and I can see myself spending my life with you. I can't really think of a reason why we wouldn't stay together forever." He paused for a moment, looking over at you briefly. "But I'm still a huge child—not Dad material."

"I think you'd make a fantastic Dad. You've already got the Dan jokes down pat."

He said nothing to this but gave your hand a little squeeze. Your eyes started getting heavier as you looked out at the streets ahead, and before you knew it you had lulled into a deep slumber. Dan avoided any holes in the road so that you would sleep fine, not wanting to bring you back to reality.

"I love you Y/N."

A/N: Yes I just added a Twenty One Pilots reference, yes I am trash. I hope you all liked it, though! I feel very strongly about women's right to choose what to do with her pregnancy. I read so many skewed pregnancy imagines where the boyfriend gets angry (like she has any control over whether or not his sperm will fertilize her egg) and they never consider abortion, which is an option most will consider when a pregnancy arrives unexpectedly. 

But I just really love Dan, and I'm super super excited about this book. I'm broadening my fanfiction horizons! Thanks for reading babes ;)