Chapter 21

Jasper groaned as they approached a stream, its raging waters bending around a precipitous cliff on the other side.
"Okay." He sighed, flicking his tail with frustration. "Looks like we'll just have to swim across." He leapt into the river without waiting for the others to respond, holding his head decisively above the water as his paws churned through the thick current.
Homer rolled his eyes, hopping in after him, coughing as salty water splashed into his face. Blizzard plunged in after, his head almost slipping under the water as he landed heavily. Venus was next, trying to keep up with her mate as he swam away after Jasper. Her cold had worn off over the past few days, and she was back to her strong self again. Tonks followed after, with Monty splashing behind her, and Kali crouched to jump in, making sure the kitten was out of the way.
Jasper was pulling himself up onto the shoreline, shaking water from his pelt and jingling his orange collar. He was about to lean down to help Homer up when Monty yowled.
"Fox!"
The huge ginger creature lunged from the trees, its teeth glittering in the moonlight and its huge claws bared. It dove into the river, missing Venus by an inch, who shied backward and almost sunk into the water.
The fox dug its claws into Blizzard's flank, emitting a cry of fear from the young tom. It sank its teeth into his shoulder, dragging him under the water. Blizzard thrashed helplessly under the blue depths, bubbles billowing from his jaws as he yowled for help. He kicked out with his hind paws, pushing against the fox's muzzle with his forepaws, panic welling in his chest. He struggled for breath as the creature tightened its grip on his shoulder. Red mist began to float to the surface, turning the water a dark shade of maroon.
Tonks growled, plunging under the water and swimming fiercely toward the two. Jasper let go of Homer's scruff, diving into the river and wading effortlessly through the murky, blue water.
Tonks was clawing at the fox's face, her cheeks inflated as she held her breath. Blizzard's swipes began to slow as he lost his breath and passed out. The fox growled, withdrawing from Blizzard's pelt and snapping at Tonks instead, who kicked its muzzle with strong back legs, pushing it further underwater.
Kali suddenly plummeted into the river, waves crashing madly in her wake. She struck the fox wildly with one huge paw, batting it deeper into the water, toward the riverbed. It began to thrash furiously as its hind paw became trapped under a large branch that was lodged in the sand.
Jasper hooked his arms under the unconscious tom's shoulders, careful to avoid the wound, and used all his strength to drag Blizzard to the surface. He emerged, spluttering, and kicked out with his hind legs to keep him afloat, as his forepaws were supporting Blizzard.
Homer paddled over, gripping Blizzard's scruff in his teeth, nodding for Jasper to let go of the white cat. He did so, coughing a couple more times before following Homer to the shore. The black and white tom pulled himself onto the still-soaked grass, dragging Blizzard up after him with the help of Venus.
As Tonks burst to the surface, Monty waded over to his mother to try and help her up with his paws. However she just thanked him for the offer and told him she could manage on her own.
Once Blizzard was laying on the shore, he began to shiver, coughing up puddles of water. Jasper hauled himself onto the grass, shaking out his fur, followed by Venus, then Tonks, who nipped Monty by the scruff and pulled him up.
"Thank you for warning us, Monty." She muttered, smiling, to her kitten, who huffed happily back.
Kali emerged above the water suddenly, choking as she paddled toward the cats.
"I got it." She informed them, a grim expression plastered across her face. "The fox. It drowned after getting stuck, along with a quick blow to the neck."