4

"Well look who it is," The stranger remarked, looking Jefferson up and down. He came closer, backing us against a building. He had light brown hair that fell over his ears and green eyes flecked with gold that pierced into your soul.
Jefferson stretched his arm across my body protectively, as if that would be enough to stop a bullet. This drew the stranger's attention away from Jefferson and onto me. "Hey Jeff, who's your little friend?" He asked. A sudden look of recognition came across his face. "Wait, don't tell me. I know her," He said with a sly grin. "Oh, it's Christmas! First the pirate and now her?" Jefferson looked at him and then me, obviously confused. As for me, my stomach dropped. "Oh don't look so confused, Jefferson! You must have known who she was." After another moment of silence, Jefferson still very confused, he reached behind him and pulled a newspaper out of his back pocket. He handed it to Jefferson, looking slightly annoyed. "My gosh, Jeff. Don't you read the paper?" Jefferson unfolded the paper and glanced at the front page. Looking over his shoulder, my stomach dropped even lower as I read the headline: A Princess in Berkeley. Just under the headline was a picture. A picture of me. Jefferson turned his gaze toward me, looking completely shocked.
     "You?" He asked, bewildered. I looked down at the pavement. This was what I had been so worried about. I had known that sooner or later Jefferson would find out who I really was. And he would know that I had lied to him. And who knew what he would do?
     "I'm sorry," I said quietly. It was true. I wasn't Lana Monell, the nobody who didn't matter. My real name was Allanah Valero. I was a princess. I was the Allanah that Jefferson had been looking for. Honestly, I would have rather been in the hands of the pirates than those of this new stranger. He looked much more intimidating and a lot less friendly. Jefferson had said that he wouldn't hurt me, but I had no such guarantee from this other man.
     "Well, not only do I get a little revenge out of this whole ordeal, but now I get a little ransom money too!" The stranger said. "Well, maybe not a little." He giggled like a madman. Now they were both looking at me, Jefferson with a look of shock and betrayal, and the stranger with one of greed and hunger. After reaching into Jefferson's belt and taking the gun that was hidden there, he flicked his own gun in the direction he had come from, signaling for us to move. We walked around the corner. The stranger directed us to a shiny black car parked on the side of the road and opened the side door. "Don't worry about Donovan," He said. "He won't bite as long as you behave." I looked into the car and saw another, quite muscular, man with multiple tattoos and a surly expression already sitting there. He looked at us, but didn't say a word. Just his presence was enough to send butterflies fluttering through my stomach. And not the good kind, either. Jefferson slid into the middle seat, thankfully putting a little space between me and the imposing Donovan. Reluctantly, and with a little shove from the stranger, I got into the car next to Jefferson. The door closed and the stranger walked around the car, getting into the driver's seat. He put away his gun and started the car.

     The car ride was only about twenty minutes, but it felt like an eternity. I kept trying to sneak looks at Jefferson, but every time I did, he was looking stoically ahead. He was probably mad at me. And for good reason. I had lied to him, after all. But only because I was scared. I had wanted to protect my family. I didn't want Jefferson to be mad at me. Ironically, he was the closest thing I had to a friend; both here, and back home. The car finally came to a stop, and the stranger came around and opened the door, gun in hand. I stepped out, followed by Jefferson. Donovan got out his side and joined us. The stranger started walking toward the building we had stopped at. It was a medium sized building, not very special looking. Jefferson and I followed him, tailed by the looming presence of Donovan. Inside the building, which was pretty much empty, we walked down a hallway and the stranger opened another door, escorting us inside a relatively empty room with pale yellow walls and wooden floor. It contained a desk, a chair, and not much more. There was, however, a ring screwed into the wall, for unknown purposes. Donovan stopped and stood in the doorway, arms crossed and muscles bulging.
     "Welcome to my humble abode," The stranger proclaimed, stretching out his arms as if he were a magician about to perform a difficult trick. The effect was somewhat lessened by the presence of the gun in his right hand. "Please, Jefferson, take a seat," He said, pulling out the chair and setting it in the middle of the room. Jefferson complied and, with a quick glance back to Donovan, sat down. The stranger then put away his gun, picked up some rope off the desk and proceeded to tie Jefferson's wrists and ankles to the chair. When he was done, he turned to me. "If you would, kindly stand in front of that ring, Your Highness," He said, mocking a bow. I scoffed, disgusted, but walked over to the ring. I had a feeling that if I didn't, he would just make me do it anyway. He tied my wrists behind my back and to the ring, which, suspiciously, was about the right height for it. Pulling a little, I realized that the ring was quite sturdy and was not about to come out of the wall. "Now then," said the stranger, "I do hope you'll excuse me, Your Highness. I must go and tend to some pressing matters. But don't worry; I'll be back, sweetheart," He said with a wink and a giggle. "Jefferson." He nodded at Jefferson in farewell, spun on his heels, and walked out of the room. He closed the door and locked it, giving out a faint click.