03

Finally, I had gotten off the bus and began to trudge down the street to the cul-de-sac with Scotty beside me. The rain pounded against the concrete, puddles forming along the curb. I heard a familiar voice call out a few yards behind me.
"Hazel! Wait up, will you?"
I stopped walking, allowing the owner of the voice to catch up and was met by the presence of that same familiar face.
I nod at Scotty to continue home. Benny scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. I slightly pouted my lips, chewing the side of my cheek.
"I saw what happened with Angela and I just wanted to see if you're okay," He spoke, softly, once Scotty was gone. I winced, wondering what he had heard.
"Oh.. I'm fine. Girls like that don't bother me anymore," I said, but I still couldn't get the question out of my head.
Did he hear anything? Was he... Angela's boyfriend or something? I just simply couldn't believe how I sat there and let her talk to me the way she did. It wasn't like me, but I guess I just let it happen because I was hoping to make friends. Making a mental note to trash that idea.
Benny looked at me, with what I perceive as empathy.
"Angela can be.. Difficult," Benny continues. "I've known her all my life, but if she ever tries to-"
I cut him off, "Sorry, but I think I can look after myself." Empathy. How ridiculous? I set my jaw. "She's nothing I can't handle."
He only stared at me, slightly stunned. He seems offended, but somehow at the same time impressed.
The rain continued to fall even harder now. His nose twitched as a drop slid down the bridge. Hanging at the tip, it eventually plummeted to the sidewalk. Rain had soaked my clothing and my hair was drenched as it clung to my rosy cheeks.
He looked like he wanted to say something, but couldn't. I broke the silence, unable to contain myself any longer.
"Did you happen to hear anything?" I asked, goosebumps beginning to form on my folded arms.
He looked me in the eyes. They were so beautiful. Mainly brown, but hints of green tainted the edges. My swooning was ceased as torrential downpour came pelting down from the seemingly crying sky.
He parts his mouth, his lips separating.
"Agh," I yelp, as a large drop flicked the top of my head.
"We should probably go home" Benny suggested, his plump lips now trembling.
"Yeah, we should." I replied. "I'll talk to you tomorrow!" The corners of my mouth turn upwards, waving my now frozen hand. He waved back and we both went dashing to our houses.
I forced myself through the front door, teeth chattering. My stepmoms's eyes widened as she rushed to fix me a a mug of tea.
"Where on earth have you been? Scotty has been back for 15 minutes already." She exclaimed.
15 minutes? Talking to Benny felt like no time had passed at all. I guess we'd just been standing there for most of the time. Then I remembered, he hadn't answered my question due to the rain.
"Damnit!" I cried out, holding my hand against my forehead.
My stepmom only gave me a strange look before handing me a steamy cup of tea.
"Oh, I just forgot something on the bus," I lied as I silently sipped. I gratefully took the warmth from the base, seeping into my thawing hands.