The Plan

But you know he'll always keep moving
No he's never gonna stop moving
Because he's a rolling, he's a rolling stone

Mela didn't intend to settle down somewhere far from here, living the same boring life she always had. She'd like to relax, of course, but even if they moved to some country retreat she'd still have to go to school and work on getting to know local people. No, she didn't think Mr. Pink was the type to ever actually make good on his "dreams" anyways. But she had to agree with him, get him to trust her, because this was the opportunity of a lifetime. Besides, she genuinely liked this guy. He was rational, and talked things out. Just like her, he had a Machiavellian sensibility in self-preservation. (That may have been some over-estimation of her own abilities, but it didn't stop her from seeing the opportunity.) He was a perfect partner in crime, a perfect friend. And now he was willing to let her join him.

"So, uh, you can go up and pack yourself a backpack, and we can take off. This is your basement, right? So I assume you live upstairs with at least some father figure? I'm asking because I need to change out of these clothes. Can't have anyone recognizing me, and this suit is pretty easy to remember. Don't know why the fuck Joe had us wear this shit..." Mr. Pink was pacing back and forth as Mela leaned on the table.

"Uh, yeah. I'll grab you something. But why do I need to pack up now? Shouldn't you be heading back to your meet-up place first?" As she scratched behind her ear, Pink stopped and gave her a look.

"Are fucking kidding me?" He asked, and when the question is met with silence, he sighs. "...Oh. You're not...? Nah, I've decided against it. That place could be swarming with cops, and I can't risk it." At his denial, Mela shook her head.

"I don't mean to tell you how to work, but... Seriously, weigh the odds. You say your plan was for all of you to meet there afterwards, right?" Her voice was a bit timid, she didn't want to sound like she was trying to tell him how to do his job.

"Yeah, it was, but I mean- the plan is a bit screwed now that I know someone tipped us off!" He was a little irritated, but he wanted to hear her out.

"But that's exactly why you should go back. I don't mean to be insulting, but criminals aren't usually the smart type, and not all the others will try to follow your reasoning. Anyone who escaped the police would have gone back as told, and you're probably going to need them on your side. I mean hey, we could try to take off by ourselves, but one man and a kid ain't gonna be much to hold our own when they're gonna be searching for the both of us. In my case, missing child. Thousands of dollars worth of jewels in yours. Besides, if there are cops there, they're either gonna be right where you can see them so you can drive on past no problem, or the time it'll take the full team to get out of wherever they're staking out will give you a minute to check the place and go. Just-" Mr. Pink cut her off.

"How can you be so sure? If they so much as see me, I'm toast! It doesn't matter if they stagger a bit, they can still chase me right here! Then that's both of us in big trouble!" He clasped his hands and took a few steps back and forth, trying to get rid of his nervous energy. Mela retorted quickly, but stuttered a bit.

"W-well, this whole gig, it's organized crime, right? Chances are, in a set-up like this, they would have gotten you already and stopped the whole thing, if they wanted to. They probably want your boss or, you know, crime-leader-guy." He nodded as she spoke, it was true. They weren't going to come out at all if Mr. Blonde hadn't gotten violent, and they're probably still waiting. Mela continued on, gesticulating absentmindedly.