xxvii

Reciprocation

Charles and Erik play chess in the living room, with their drinks and a low-bright light

Charles and Erik play chess in the living room, with their drinks and a low-bright light. Charles keeps checking the time, and Erik notices this.

"What are you so anxious about?" He asks his friend taking a sip of his glass. Charles looks at him frowning and scoffs.

"I don't know what you're talking about" Charles replies looking at the game. Erik raises one of his eyebrows.

"Sure" He replies leaving the glass on the table "Did you meet with someone?" He asks jokingly "Someone whose name is-"

"Stop it right there, Erik" Charles orders looking at the man in front of him. Erik raises an eyebrow and Charles sighs "Yes, I'm expecting Eleanor to come" Erik smiles.

"What for?"

"Why are you so interested in what I do with Eleanor?" He asks narrowing his eyes with a small smile.

"Because she's like a sister to me, and supposedly my job is to scare males who get close to her" He jokes with a serious expression, then he smiles "And I've seen the way you look at her"

"Erik, please, can we talk about another thing?" He asks his friend.

"I didn't know you liked her that much" Erik comments frowning. Charles closes his eyes and sighs deeply "Oh, but don't worry she likes you too, trust me. I knew there was something between you two but-"

"Erik, I hate talking about this" Charles says coughing. He makes his move and drinks from his glass "Cuba, Russia, America. It makes no difference. Shaw has declared war on mankind, on all of us" He says changing the subject radically. Erik looks at the game "He has to be stopped" Charles says looking at his glass.

"I'm not going to stop Shaw. And neither is your so beloved Eleanor" He tells his friend "We're going to kill him" Charles stares at the man in front of him seriously "Do you have it in you to allow that? You've known all along why we were here, Charles. But things have changed. What started as a covert mission, tomorrow, mankind will know that mutants exist. Shaw, us, they won't differentiate. They'll fear us. And that fear will turn to hatred"

"Not if we stop a war. Not if we can prevent Shaw. Not if we risk our lives doing so" Charles murmurs frowning.

"Would they do the same for us?" Erik asks challengingly. 

"We have it in us to be the better men"

"We already are" Erik comments "We're the next stage of human evolution. You said it yourself!"