6: The Crooked Smiles Fade

Trigger warning, more in the second half of the chapter.

Enjoy this behemoth of a chapter that's almost 3,000 words long.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

It's gonna get better, it's gonna work out, Give it a minute, it's gonna turn around

'Cause it's gonna get better, So just coast with me

-Coast (It's Gonna Get Better), Patrick Stump

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

Our feet were tangled together, our faces just inches apart. I was curled into him, and he had his arms lazy draped around me. A blanket was on top of us, he must've grabbed it from the back of the couch before he fell asleep.

Our bodies seemed to fit perfectly together. It was like we were made for each other like my small frame was meant to fit with his large muscular one. In his arms, I felt safe. Protected. I felt like nothing could get to me, including myself.

I found myself staring at his face. He looked a lot younger when he was asleep. His concerned expression wasn't plastered on like it usually was around me. I almost didn't even see his eyes open.

"Morning." He mumbled, his voice low and raspy, sending butterflies through my stomach. He looked down at our position and blushed before chuckling. "You know, some of the girls in your class would actually kill to be you right now."

"Please." I rolled my eyes, scoffing. "It makes me want to throw up when they blatantly flirt in front of everyone like that."

"Yeah. At least we keep it on the down low." I immediately bit my lip and averted my eyes away from his. Did I really flirt with Pete that much? I mean, I couldn't help myself, he was incredibly gorgeous. I couldn't help but notice the flips that my stomach did when I looked back up at his eyes.

"Yeah." I chuckled. I untangled my feet from his and the two of us sat up. "Do you want breakfast or something? I can't really cook and all we have is cereal but-"

"That would be great." He smiled. We made our way to the kitchen, grabbing bowls and filling them up. "So," He said between bites, "this is a lovely home you've got here."

"Shut up." I felt like I was rolling my eyes way too often around here. "You don't need to make things awkward with small talk. It's not like we slept together or anything."

"But we did sleep next to each other." He pointed out.

"That's not the same thing." I sighed.

He smiled cheekily. "Oh, but you wish it were."

I facepalmed myself. "You do know that's illegal, right?"

He shrugged. "There's got to be a loophole somewhere." I didn't respond, agrressivle blushing, trying to avoid the conversation topic. I mean, having sex with him would be great, but it's totally illegal and completely wrong.

He looked at his watch. "Uh, I should probably get going. It's almost 2pm."

I raised an eyebrow. "Did we really sleep that late?"

He nodded. "It was like 11 when I got to your house." I remained silent while he got up, put his bowl in the sink, and gathered his stuff up.

"So," he trailed, trying to break the awkward silence between us, "I'll see you Monday?"

"Yeah." I nodded.

He gave me a small smile. I'll miss you, I wanted to say, but I didn't. "Bye Stump." He waved before walking out the door.