Quiet

The quiet stretched out between them once more, but this time she was smiling, making it a comfortable silence. A familiar longing blossomed in his chest—the one he felt each time he had to leave her side. If anything, it was even more insistent than usual, but he fought against it. He took a deep breath, then smiled at her. "It's late. We should probably get going so we can both warm up."

She nodded, returning his smile. "Alrght. Merry Christmas, Adrien."

Her smile, her voice, her calling his name—it all produced a shining ball of joy that pressed against his chest and made him feel ready to burst from happiness. "Merry Christmas, Marinette."

Despite the cold, he patiently watched as she turned and slung her yoyo, swinging off of the roof and heading east into the snowy night. Once she had vanished from sight, he finally allowed himself a relieved sigh. She didn't hate him. That was a good start.

...

Taking a deep breath, Adrien walked over to Marinette's locker. "Good morning," he said, smiling when she jumped a little in surprise.

"Oh, hi!" she squeaked in reply, spinning to face him. He tried to hide his grin at her adorable reaction. "How was your break?"

"Eh, it was okay," he told her, shrugging. "How was yours?"

"I wish it weren't over," she groaned. "I'm not ready for homework again."

Adrien chuckled. "Yeah, me either. You know, I was pretty surprised that things were so quiet over break."

Marinette pursed her lips, glancing around the busy locker area to make sure no one had overheard. Seriously, she needed to stop being so cute all the time—how was he supposed to keep his cool? Apparently deeming the coast clear, she replied, "Yeah. I was expecting at least something to crop up."

"Hm," Adrien said contemplatively, tapping his chin. "Perhaps the fact that I'm so devilishly handsome scared them all away."

Marinette rolled her eyes and playfully pushed his shoulder, though he noticed a small blush spread across her cheeks. "Keep dreaming."

They started toward the classroom, walking side by side, and Adrien couldn't help thinking that they probably looked like a couple. Yeah, yeah, you wish, he scolded himself. Don't get carried away.

He took another deep breath to bolster his courage. "So, I've been thinking..." he started slowly, glancing at Marinette.

"Yeah?" she asked, tilting her head.

Too cute. Oh my god, too cute. She was making it exceedingly difficult to focus. Trying to force his words to start working again, he continued, "Well, since I'm such a Tramp—"

"Oh god, Adrien," she said with a look of utter horror. "I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean it as an insult, really, I—"

Adrien burst out laughing, thankfully cutting Marinette's unnecessary apologies short. "Really, it's fine," he assured her, shaking his head. "The more I've thought about it, the funnier it's become."

From the look on her face, she obviously didn't believe him, which was a shame. "Anyway, like I was saying, since I'm a Tramp maybe I could take you to get a spaghetti dinner sometime, hm?"

Marinette stopped short, blinking in surprise, and Adrien's stomach plummeted. But then she quickly caught up to him, shooting him a small smile. "You know, I think that'd be nice."

He was so relieved that he could barely breath, but as they walked into the classroom he managed to say, "Alright, cool. When are you free?"

"Let me check my calendar," she replied, pulling out her phone.

"If you want, I could just give you my number and you can text me what works best." She was silent for a moment, and Adrien put on his most innocent face. Hey, you couldn't fault a guy for trying, right?

"I actually have your number," Marinette finally mumbled. It was Adrien's turn to whip around in surprise, although she wasn't meeting his gaze. With a shrug, she added, "Alya gave it to me once."

Oh, right. The class project. Adrien had forgotten he had even given his number to Alya. Smiling, he replied, "That works! Just let me know."

"Sure thing!" Marinette squeaked, sitting down in her seat. As Adrien took his own seat, Nino walked in.

"Morning, Adrien!" he called, sliding into his chair. "How was break?"

"Fine," Adrien replied with a shrug. "How was yours?"

"Eh, could have been better," Nino said, frowning. "My dad's car broke down big time, so we spent a ton of time in and out of the repair shop."

As Nino started detailing all of his dad's car issues, Adrien heard Alya giggled behind them. "What was that?" she whispered quietly, so low that Adrien had to strain to hear.

"Nothing," he heard Marinette reply, far too quickly to be convincing.

"Yeah, right," Alya hissed back. "That was so something. Now spill!"

"You know," Marinette said evasively. She sighed, then added, "Just a date."

Alya broke into excited squeals, but Adrien had already completely checked out. A date. Her words, not his. It was official: he had a date with Marinette.

"Anyway, the entire break was such a headache," Nino finished, jolting Adrien from his daze.

"Wow," Adrien replied, feeling guilty for not having listened to the whole story. "That sounds awful."

Suddenly his phone buzzed in his pocket. Confused, Adrien slipped it out to see a text from an unknown number.

Saturday?

Hardly daring to breath, he quickly replied, Saturday. 5 work for you?

Less than ten seconds later, his phone buzzed again. Works for me.

"Who was that?"

Startled, Adrien glanced over to Nino. "Oh, just Nathalie," he replied quickly. He swore he could feel Marinette's eyes on the back of his neck as he quickly typed back, Can't wait. He hesitated, then added a cat emoticon.

Follow me please who ever has this story in their library!!! Hope to get more followers!