Introduction

Peter Burke sat at his kitchen table in the dead of night nursing a cold cup of coffee. He was remembering his old partner, Neal Caffrey. Caffrey had cut his anklet in the dead of night almost two years ago and no one had seen him since. All that was left of him was a piece of paper with goodbye in Neal's handwriting and his black, felt fedora.

Unlike the last time Agent Burke was chasing Neal Caffrey, there was no trace. Maybe a forgery there or a art theft here, but nothing concrete enough to find him.

The day before was ordinary enough. Neal went of anklet for an undercover operation to catch a diamond smuggler. Everything went according to plan and the perp was behind bars by the end of the day. Peter locked the tracking anklet and Neal went home; next thing he knows he's being woken up in the middle of the night by his phone ringing and Jones is telling him that Neal removed his anklet.

He sighed and took a sip of ice cold coffee. He grimaced at the taste and placed it back on the table as he stared off into space.

Once Neal ran and it became obvious that he was doing it willingly, the White Collar division launched a manhunt. The BOLO went out and wanted posters were printed. Peter and his team canvased his former partner's apartment. They didn't find anything and by the end of the week, Neal Caffrey was still at large.

He was forced to hand over the investigation to another department as he was deemed too personally involved in the investigation. Even two years later, every action and investigation he led was under intense scrutiny.

He sighed again as he stood up and dumped his disgusting coffee in the sink. He walked up the stairs and got in to bed next to his sleeping wife.

He had to face facts. Neal Caffrey wasn't his friend and partner, he was a greedy conman and a thief who manipulates the people around him to get what he wants.