Chapter 25 - What a Liar

Fred never let go of my arm as we searched for Zach among the crowds outside the Louvre. We finally found him being examined by a doctor. He was fighting with him, slapping his hand away every time it moved to search for any injuries.

“I’m fine! I don’t need an examination!” he argued with the French-speaking doctor.

“Maybe just a mental one,” I retorted as we neared him.

Zach jumped up, shooing the doctor away with a rough push, and threw his arms around me tightly, nearly lifting me up from the ground. I was taken aback by how strong he was.

"You did it!" he said happily.

"You both did a grand job." Fred broke in. I cringed slightly as Zach let go. My face began to burn.

“Thank you, sir,” Zach said, shaking Fred’s hand.

A man in a police uniform approached Fred, resting an arm on his shoulder as he spoke quietly.

“Excuse me for a moment,” Fred said before walking away with the policeman, leaving Zach and me alone.

“Looks like you got everyone out in time.” I nodded towards the authorities mixing with the models and celebrities.

He laughed softly. “It was not an easy task. I nearly got arrested until I was able to show my badge.” He put his hands in his pockets and nudged me with his shoulder. “I knew you could do it.” He softened his voice. “You’re amazing, Laura.”

I was blushing so furiously, I couldn’t look at him.

“I was wondering-” he started.

He was cut off before he finished his sentence. "Excuse me, Mr. Freeman?" A tall, well-dressed man came up to Zach and held out his hand. He lowered his voice. "Emilio Gomez, CIA Headquarters in Langley, Virginia." He slyly showed his badge to the two of us.

Zach, wide-eyed, took his hand and shook it firmly up and down several times. "It's a pleasure, sir."

"May I speak to you for a moment?" Agent Gomez asked, gesturing to an empty area away from the police cars and fire trucks and bomb squads.

Zach glanced at me nervously, but I smiled. He followed Agent Gomez across the lot.

Suddenly Fred was once again at my side. He lowered his voice to a whisper. "They want to promote him to the main CIA branch. It's what he's worked for his whole life."

I watched Zach and Agent Gomez huddle in a deep conversation. I could tell Zach was trying to stay calm, but his wide eyes were giving away his excitement. "He deserves it," I said sincerely. I wouldn't be here if not for his quick thinking. "I’ll never be as good as he is.” A painful reminder hit me. “I’ll never be as good as my parents, either.”

"You don't think your parents made mistakes,” Fred said instantly. “I could go on about all of the dumb things your father did when we went on missions together." He laughed to himself. "Not much common sense, that one. But he was an amazing man. An amazing friend." He pulled something out of his suit pocket and handed it to me.

It was a folded picture of my parents from there last mission. The beautiful city of Rio de Janeiro was behind them. My mother was in a white dress, her dark hair spread over her shoulders. My smiling father stood next to her, his glasses falling off of his nose.  

"They sent it in an email when they found out you were here. They were so proud of you," Fred said softly.

I felt tears burn my eyes as I folded the picture and held it tightly in my hand. With everything that had been going on the past few days, the realization of what awaited me at home…or rather what wasn’t waiting for me, never sank in. The picture in my hands, however, was making everything very real. Fred watched me nervously, fiddling with the end of his tie in his hands.  A lot of change was coming, but I wasn’t alone. I was never alone. I threw my arms around Fred’s neck once more.