Chapter 2

I wake up the next morning to the birds chirping outside. The storm had stopped, and everything was all bright an sunny.

A smile makes its way onto my face as I sit up and stretch. The morning is beautiful and I just love it.

I look down at my stomach and whisper softly. "Hey, baby. You doing okay in there?" I knew I wasn't going to get an answer, but I said something anyway.

Well, I thought I wasn't going to get an answer. A wave a nausea washed over me and I try to find something to get sick in.

After a few seconds of running around, I find a discarded bucket and throw up everything that I had eaten the previous day. Even then, I continue to puke, but nothing comes up. That was the worst part.

After I finally finish with the morning sickness, I go back to my makeshift bed and lay back down.

I snuggled into the blanket and rested for a bit more, keeping one arm around my stomach in a protective way. "I won't let anything happen to you, baby" I say quietly.

I rest for a little bit longer and then get up, folding the blanket and putting it and the pillow in a safe corner.

I pulled my shoes on and put my hands in my pockets. I felt something in there and pulled it out. It was my phone.

I tried to turn it on, but it wouldn't turn it on. "Great. My phone died. What am I going to do with it now?" I asked myself.

Then an idea popped into my head. I wouldn't do this under normal circumstances, but I have no choice. I have to sell my phone to get some money.

I walk out of the abandoned furniture store and make my way to a pawn shop close by.

I walk in and I'm in awe at all the items they have. They have stuffed animals, books, CDs, Laptops, TV's, and a lot of other stuff.

"Hi. Can I help you?" I heard a young man say at the counter. I look at his name tag and it reads Michael.

"Uh, yeah." I begin. "I'm here to well my phone." I take it out of my pocket, making sure to grab the SD card in it before I hand it over. I am not losing my photos and music.

He takes the phone and looks at it. "It's not cracked or anything. Do you have your charger?" He asks.

I shake my head. "No, I don't. That's why I want to sell it." I explain.

"Well," he starts to say. "I have to chi that it works and it'll be difficult without the charger, but we have others. I'll be right back." He then walks off to find a charger that'll fit the phone.

I sigh at where my life is right now. Pregnant, homeless, broke, and pretty much alone. Things honestly can't get any worse than they are now.

Michael comes back, plugs my phone in, and checks to see that it still worked, after I put in the pass code.

"Seems like it works fine. I'll have to factory reset it." He tells me.

I nod. "That's fine. I won't use it anymore. Now, how much are you gonna give me for it?" I ask.

After being silent for a few minutes, he says "I can give you $100 dollars for the phone."

My face kinda cringes. "Can I get any more? I'm homeless and I need some money to stretch for a while. Please, these are special circumstances." I tell him.

"Like what?" He asks.

I really don't want to say anything, but I need to. I need to get more money for me and my baby. "I...I have a baby I need to take care of..." I say.