Seven

Surprisingly, I liked being with Matthew. He was weird and strange but he never tried to bite me. I felt safe around him.

He taught me about science and the stars and how being a vampire works. He kept me fed and even let me go back to my human schedule instead of staying on the vampire's schedule. 

"Do you think your vampire will come back for you?" Matthew asked one night while we were lying on the roof, millions of stars above us.

I hadn't thought of Peter ever wanting me back. He was mad when I left. He hardly wanted me when he had me. I wasn't even his favorite when he had four of us. It was clear he didn't need, nor want, me around.

"I don't know. He's never liked me much."

"Why?" He turned his head to look at me. He was frowning.

"He had a favorite and it wasn't me."

He raised his eyebrows. "I wonder if that's why he lost all of you."

"What?"

"The council really hates when vampires and humans fall in love. They might have taken you because they found out."

"Why?"

"They look down on humans. More than most vampires do. The thought of falling in love with a human grosses them out. Revolts them."

"That's stupid."

He shrugged. "Some people have distorted perceptions that prevent them from seeing things as they truly are."

I looked over at him. "Why don't you hate humans?"

"Did you assume that, as a vampire, I'd hate humans from the second I was bit?" His voice sounded amused but his expression didn't show it.

I nodded silently.

"I was a human once. I know what it's like to be fragile and vulnerable and not posses incredible strength. It would be immoral of me to look down on humans simply for being a different species."

"If he came looking for me, would you keep me or let me go?"

He reached up and brushed a strand of hair behind my ear. "You deserve to be happy, Sydney."

His touch made my heart beat fast in my chest.

I rolled onto my side and kissed him. He was so gentle with me, so caring. With Peter, he never cared about my feelings or if I was hurt. But Matthew put my needs before his. It was selfish of me to like that but I needed it.

I pushed away from him, my eyes widened. What was I doing? It was illegal for any human and vampire to have romantic feelings for one. So what the hell was I thinking?

"I-I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that."

"No, you deserve to be happy."

Matthew poured two glasses of wine then leaned back against the couch, handing me one of the glasses. "Can I ask you something?"

I looked over at him and nodded.

"What was your life like before the vampires took over?"

I wanted to remind him that he was a vampire but it was pointless. "Normal. My parents worked, I went to school. I hung out with friends. I mean, it seems boring and kind of stupid."

"It's not stupid if you like it."

"Why do you care? I don't mean to sound rude but why? Vampires never care about humans."

He took my hand in his and kissed the back of it. "I care. Vampires have a bad rep for seeming cold and heartless. While I am both of those things, I'm not emotionless."

"Like a zombie."

"Zombies aren't real."

I smiled and took a sip of the wine. I wasn't a drinker but the wine was really good. It was sweet and it had a great grape taste to it.

"Do you think the council would come after us?" I asked softly, staring into my glass.

He took my chin in his hand and turned my face toward him. "I won't let them hurt you, Sydney. I promise."

"I can't do this to you. It's not fair."

"I can make my own choices."

"Matthew-"

"I mean it, Sydney. And I will protect you until I'm dead."

I stared up at the sky silently, thinking.

"You should get some sleep."

"Come with me."