The game

The next two days passed easily for Jamie. She finally got to enjoy the company of her family. By the end of the second day, she had forgotten all about the hearing.

She was talking to Ron on the couch, while Sirius had a rousing conversation with the twins when her mother and father came in.

"Jamie." Her father said quietly.

She stopped in mid sentence, and looked at him.

"Can we talk to you for a moment in the kitchen?" He asked, Jamie could see the worry lines deepen in his forehead, her mom looked frightened.

She frowned, not sure what they were so worried about.

The reason hit her like a train. She felt her stomach tighten, she felt like she was going to be sick. This time tomorrow night, she could be trapped in the Malfoy manor... she could be with her blood father.

The thought made a shiver run down her spine.

She got up weakly, and followed them into the kitchen. She sat stiffly on a chair, trying not to show how afraid she actually was.

Her mother and father sat opposite her.

"Dumbledore and I will take you to the Ministry tomorrow." Her father said.

"Your hearing is at 9 in the morning, so we will have to be out of here by 8:30."

She nodded.

"What am I suppose to say?" She said, trying to sound strong.

"Tell them the truth." Her father said.

"It's our best defense now..."

At 8 the next morning, Jamie trudged down the stairs and into the kitchen, collapsing on to a chair.

Sirius, her mother, and father were all sitting at the table; drinking coffee.

"Morning." Sirius said cheerfully, trying to lighten the mood.

She looked at him blankly, and nodded.

"Jamie, have a bit of breakfast dear." Her mother said, pushing a plate of toast towards her.

"I'm not hungry." She croaked.

They sat in silence. The time seemed to speed up as they neared their leaving time. Before Jamie knew it, she was standing at the door. Her mom hugged her tightly, tears in her eyes.

"Don't worry, I'll come back." Jamie said, not sure that it was the truth.

Her father took her hand, and pulled her into the street. Albus was standing there, waiting for them. He held out his arm for Jamie.

"Good morning! I will be apparating with you my dear." He said brightly.

Jamie nodded, not trusting her voice. She grabbed his arm, and the next moment they were at the ministry. It was a blur as they headed to the room her hearing was to be held in. Jamie's main focus was on not throwing up. They stopped outside a large oak door. Dumbledore smiled at her, and turned her to face him.

"Just relax Jamie, everything will be alright." He said soothingly. He then took a hold of her arm and steered her into the room.

There were seven people in the front of the room, they already looked ready to hand her over to Lucius, who was standing in front of one of the podiums facing them. There was a small crowd of people that sat in chairs along the wall. Jamie recognized most of the faces as known Death Eaters, probably there to make sure she wouldn't escape, if the ruling was in their favor. Lucius looked at her with a fake smile plastered on his face as she stood behind Dumbledore who took the second podium. "Anna Taryn Riddle. Can you please step forward." Came a voice from a stern looking woman. Jamie felt her stomach drop, as she stepped in between the two podiums.