Phase 18: Realization and Acceptance

I sigh as I head to school. Today will probably be tiring, but I don't plan on losing to a bunch of fangirls. It'd be an insult to my intellect and pride if I let them get to me. With that in mind, I brace myself for whatever they have planned for me. 

"Good morning, Kimikocchi," Kise greets.

I nod. "Kise."

____________________________________________________________  

The usual routine runs its course. We run into Kasamatsu and Moriyama at the gate and make small talk before parting ways at the front entrance. "Kimikocchi, I'm not going to let anything happen to you today," Kise declares.

"I'm not sure how you'll manage to pull that off, Kise. We're in different classes," I reply as I head to my shoe locker. I open it up and look for anything out of the ordinary. I smile wryly as I pull the thumb tacks of of my shoes. "Ooh, creative," I comment with a roll of my eyes. I toss the thumb tacks out before switching my shoes. I take out the piece of paper placed in my locker and toss it out without sparing a glance. 

After Kise switches his shoes out, he walks me to class. The door is suspiciously closed, so I opt to go through the door in the back of the classroom instead. I roll my eyes as I catch a glimpse of the blackboard eraser dangling precariously over the door. 

"See you later, Kise," I say before heading to my seat. I place my bag on the seat first and watch as one of the legs gives out and the chair falls to the side. I put my bag on my desk and wait for the teacher to come in before asking to get another one.

____________________________________________________________  

Class begins and drags by a bit more slowly than usual, but eventually lunch break comes around, and to my surprise, the usual morning trio comes to pick me up for lunch. "Kasamatsu-senpai? Moriyama-senpai?" I ask. "This is rare," I comment as I head outside with the two upperclassmen and Kise.

"We heard some girls talking about what they were going to do this morning," Kasamatsu says. "Looks like you've been holding up pretty well on your own though."

"Of course. Just who do you think I am?" I reply confidently.

"You may be our tough-as-steel manager, but even steel isn't invincible. Rest up for now, okay?" Moriyama adds. For once, he looks kinda serious. I quickly realize that his suggestion is easier said than done as I spot one of the fangirls tailing us. I have to admit that I'm getting tired of this, but I don't plan on letting it show. Kise looks at me worriedly and I flash him my usual expression.

____________________________________________________________    

Kasamatsu and Moriyama head back to class, so Kise walks me back to my classroom on his own after we finish eating and wasting the remainder of our lunch break. I sigh as a bucket of water spills over my head as I walk into the classroom. The back door was rigged too, so I suppose that going through the other door wouldn't have made a difference. Seems that someone had a lot of time on their hands. Enough to set up not one, but two trip wires.

Kise steps forward, but I shake my head and stop him. There's no need for him to do anything. I'm perfectly capable of handling this all on my own.

The classroom erupts into laughter, but I keep a cool expression and casually wring my hair out on the group of fangirls' desks, doing my best to leave a puddle of water on their notebooks, seats, and bags. It's their fault for making their fangirl status so clear while tailing me. I flash them a dry smile. "So sorry," I say sarcastically. I walk over to the class rep who is, thankfully, one of the only people sensible enough to not take part in this foolishness. "Please let Sensei know that I went to the nurse," I tell him. A thought comes to mind and I grab my bag from my desk before walking out of the classroom.