Chapter One

(DISCLAIMER: All characters and the whole Harry Potter franchise - except for Jeremiah Hallysworn, Mallory Evans, Alice Urie [plus a few other more characters I haven't decided to get into the story yet] - belong to none other than J. K. Rowling)

Alice Urie was surprised at how she had gotten so much attention once she set foot on the train leading to her new school. To be honest, she had never expected that her presence was going to be noticed at all by her new schoolmates. They kept asking her who she was, where she came from, but she didn't answer. She refused to. She remained silent and quiet. She never spoke a word on that train ride. She only had to pass the occasional smile and nod at the people who would pass the compartment where she stayed. It was empty, only her being the one to stay in it.

She preferred isolation - most of the time, that is - and since her parents  were out of the house most of the time, she learned to work alone. While having the advantage of wanting to work alone in isolation, she now dealt having a disadvantage at being a bit of an introvert. Her parents always encouraged her to find friends but she simply shakes her head in disagreement and the argument ends there.

She knew she would pass the stage of actually needing friends in her early teens, but she went through. Having to be homeschooled by her parents who were former students of her new school as well, she became an intelligent and a fruitful minded person. Her comprehension was beyond anyone would have ever seen. Her ability to think fast was to be envied by a lot of scholars and even an athlete.

But it seems as though that meant nothing to Alice. She kept very much to herself and read books or did some hefty researching herself.

She never needed any help from her parents, but that didn't stop them from needing hers. Her parents were researchers in the Wizarding World, a field very much neglected by most people but brilliant nonetheless.

Alice promised to herself that she would be the most brilliant, if not, one of the most brilliant researchers. Her name would be looked upon with awe and wonder, inspiring little minds like her own to be just as successful.

But Alice could only dream so much. She never would like attention the way she dreamed of it. That would've been nice, yes, but Alice never wanted to be a celebrity.

It had been around an hour since she had entered the compartment, that another figure passed by. She didn't mind, though, she was completely engulfed in the wonders of her book about shape shifters, both of light and dark essence. But her attention was waved off when the door actually opened to reveal the figure that just passed.

Eyes staring in a cold manner down at her, she felt a little tinge of intimidation before it wavered off into the void. She scanned him down with a blank face from his robes to his unarguably flawless face. He was undoubtedly a Slytherin, evident in his scarf as well with its green shades proudly shining.

Alice merely nodded with a hint of a small smile, just as what she had done with the others before, and went back down to read her book. She didn't have any time to continue reading the sentence when the boy that had entered the compartment she was staying spoke up.

"You must be Alice Urie, the new sixth year."

That got Alice to look up from her book once more and face the boy. He was gazing at her and waiting for her to respond. Alice knew he wanted her to answer verbally, but feeling a bit nonchalant, she nodded though she did not return her attention to the book.

The boy seemed a bit irritated at her decision to not speak but did not show it. Alice knew this because he immediately started to talk again.

"I'm Tom Riddle, Slytherin prefect and a sixth year."