three

March 28, 8:28 p.m.

Justin: Ariana, you just called. Where did you go? You're funny. Thanks for calling me. I'll be up late. You should call me back.

March 31, 3:32 p.m.

Justin: I got an A on my paper. I'm not calling to brag. Okay, I am calling to brag a little. But I wanted to tell you thanks. And if you're ever stuck, you should call me. Even if you're stuck in a car. Not stuck inside a car. I mean you should call me if you get a car stuck in something. Like mud. Or snow. Or a lake. Actually, if your car gets stuck in a lake, you should try to get out on your own right away and also dial 911. Why do my messages to you always sound weird?

March 31, 5:35 p.m.

Ariana: You must think I'm a lousy driver. Mud? Snow? A lake? I am an excellent driver. If I wanted, I bet I could be a long-haul trucker. A refrigerator rig and everything. Seriously. If I wanted. And the reason your messages sound weird is because they are weird.

March 31, 5:37 p.m.

Justin: Where did you go? You just called me. And what the hell is a refrigerator rig? Do you come from a family of truckers? Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just wondering.

March 31, 5:41 p.m.

Ariana: I think I'm in a dead zone. I'm on a walk. And where are you? You just called me. A refrigerator rig is pretty self-explanatory. It's a refrigerated semitruck. It's how perishable products get hauled across our great nation. No, I don't come from a family of truckers. No one in my family even owns a trucker hat. In fact, no one in my family owns a car that has more than four cylinders.

March 31, 5:44 p.m.

Justin: You just called me. How can you be in a dead zone? Where are you walking? The Swiss Alps? You are the only girl I've ever met who has said the word "cylinder." It makes me wonder what other automotive verbiage you've got stuffed inside of you. Hey, when you get this, call me back.

March 31, 9:23 p.m.

Justin: You never called me back. Is this a sign of things to come? Ariana, Ariana, Ariana. Have you forgotten how to use your phone?

***

April 1, 6:45 a.m.

Justin: What are you doing right now?

Ariana: I'm getting ready for school.

Justin: Me too.

Ariana: Then why are you calling me?

Justin: Because it's the first day of April.

Ariana: Uh-huh.

Justin: And somebody might try to play a trick on you. You know, April Fools' Day.

Ariana: Are you going to play a trick on me?

Justin: No. I'm warning you.

Ariana: Do you know something you're not telling me?

Justin: No. How do you mean?

Ariana: Justin Bieber, you are a random person.

Justin: I know. So what are you going to wear to school today?