My Heart Is Not Homophobic {10}

***JJ’s POV***

                “What’s wrong JJ?” I looked over at Max and shrugged. “Nothing,” I said. Well, nothing besides the fact that Pat was right and Milo was falling for Roman. Not that I would ever date Milo…

                “Something’s wrong with JJ?” Noah asked, popping out of nowhere with a frown. “D’awww, does poor JJ need a hug?” Kenz asked with a puppy dog face. I rolled my eyes. “You guys are all stupid,” I grumbled.

                “Me fail English? Unpossible,” Noah said, his voice full of dignity. “Uh…dad…” Kenz started and Noah glanced at her curiously. She sighed and shook her head. “Never mind.”

                The front door opened and closed. “I’m home!” Connor called. “No one cares!” I called back. “JJ,” Max said with a frown. “Be nice to him.”

                “JJ! JJ! JJ!” Connor cried and rushed into the kitchen in excitement. “We all know my name Connor, but thank you,” I said sarcastically and Max frowned even deeper at me.

                Connor shook his head wildly, his brown hair flying from side to side with it. I could imagine I Whip My Hair Back And Worth playing in that moment. “No! I have something to tell you!”

                “So tell me,” I said impatiently. “You know that one kid? The one you babysat with?” “Milo?” “Yea!” “Yea, what about him?” Now Connor grinned. “I saw him holding hands with Kenz’s friend! The really nice one.”

                “Roman?” Kenz asked in shock. I felt my heart drop as Connor nodded and pointed at her. “Yea, him! They were holding hands and talking at the park.”

                “Why do I care?” I growled, sounding harsher than I meant to. Connor cringed back a little. “I just thought cause he was your friend and…” his voice trailed off nervously. I shook my head at him in annoyance before leaving and going up to my room.

                I shut my bedroom door and turned on Mayday Parade. I was just in that kind of mood now. Why did I care so much if Roman and Milo got together? I didn’t date people. I never did. I had isolated myself for so long, it was all I really knew. I loosened up around my family and Felix. That was it. I couldn’t just ask Milo out and let him in when I barely even knew him.

                Feeling frustrated, I blasted Nevershoutnever out of my iPod and stood in the middle of my room, shaking and trying to get a grip on myself.

                A hand gently rested on my shoulder and I turned to face Max. “What’s wrong JJ? What’s really wrong?” he asked softly. “I…” I faltered. I didn’t want to tell him. I didn’t want to worry him. He had so much to worry about without my awkward “love life” getting in the way.

                He gently wrapped his arms around me and I hugged him back tightly. “I don’t know,” I whispered honestly. “I don’t know.”

                “Do you like Milo, JJ?” I hesitated. I didn’t want to lie to my daddy. “You do,” he said, nodding to himself. “So you should ask him out. Give him a chance JJ. I know you. I know you don’t like to open up to people. But you’ve got to take risks,” he said gently.

                “But I…” “No buts!” He smiled at me. “Look JJ, Noah took a chance dating me. He wasn’t even gay. We ended up happily married and we’ve been together for…oh, 28 years? What if Noah never took that risk? We wouldn’t be having this conversation right now.”

                I sighed. “I guess you’re right daddy.” He hugged me again. “I love you JJ.” I smiled softly. “I love you too daddy.”

                So the next day in school, I went over to Pat, Gabe, and Felix. They greeted me and we stood under the stairs like always while we waited to be allowed to our lockers.

                “Hiya JJ! It’s cold out, isn’t it? Antarctica is cold. Speaking of penguins, how cool would it be if one bitched slapped Lady Gaga? That would teach her to wear Kermit the Frog as an outfit. Or meat. I bet Peta isn’t too happy with her. Did you guys know The Lion King spells Sex in the stars? How cool would that be to have sex in the st-”

I slapped my hand over Felix’s mouth before he could continue on another of his rants that barely made any sense. I then quickly explained the Milo situation to my friends.

“Man you are in a pickle there, JJ. Cows are hung upside down by their hind legs and have their throats slit while still con-” And again, my hand slapped over his mouth.

                “Lay off the weed for a little Felix. You might know what you’re talking about for once,” Gabe said, rolling his eyes. “Hey! I’ve been clean for almost 2 months!” Felix whined. “Shut up Felix. That’s only because your mom drugs tests you,” I said and he pouted. “Shut up JJ! If your dads drug tested you, you’d be fucked.” “Nah man. Pat would be fucked. Gabe and I have been clean for a long, long time,” I said with a shrug.

                “Hey! Don’t insult Pat. Pat could help you here. Pat could get Milo to talk to him,” Pat said with a confident nod. I sighed. “Thanks Pat.” He grinned. “Don’t worry JJ, m’boy. I’ll get you your cute little boyfriend.”