Rush Against Time

Chapter Seventeen

****

I slammed the hospital doors open just in time to hear Melissa's screams echoing throughout the hallway. My heart instantly dropped into the pit of my stomach making an uneasy queasy feeling hit me like a ton of bricks. I followed the sound of her screams to a hallway where she was dropping down onto her knees, tears flowing down her face.

I knew that this was part of the plan, but everything happening felt real

And I hate every part of it.

"What happened to my son!" She sobbed, clutching onto the doctors coat before dropping her hands against the cold floor.

My body fell next to hers, my arm immediately going around her in a comforting manner to go along with everything. "Melissa, I'm here...it's gonna be okay." I assured her, rubbing her arm gently before my eyes locked with the doctors. "I can take care of her, don't worry."

He looked at me with concern and uncertainty, "Autumn, I don't think–"

"I can calm her down, I promise." I stated, calm and collected. I pulled both myself and Melissa onto our feet and began to walk down the hall while she continued crying and screaming for Scott. This is all part of the plan, I kept having to tell myself, Scott's still alive.

My heart was beating quickly as we rounded the corner, Melissa's sobs turning into more of just sniffling as we approached a pair of double doors. "Are you okay?" She asked me, turning to look into my eyes before walking through the door.

"Of course." I nodded, "Why would you think I wasn't?"

"Well, not only is all of the blood drained from your face, but you're also shaking like a leaf. Sweetheart, maybe you need to go home." She sniffed, placing a hand on the door.

"No way." I quickly responded, "I have to help, I can't just sit and do nothing."

Now I was the one pushing through the door instead of her, instantly regretting the decision the moment I saw my best friend lying on the cold metal table. It was just like the one I remember waking up on, chills ran up and down my spine. I could almost feel myself lying on the cold table, I could see it in my head.

He's still alive, I told myself, this is all part of the plan. You haven't felt anything yet, so he's still alive. He's fine.

But, he looked the farthest thing from alive. His chest wasn't moving in the slightest bit, and his skin was losing color by the second. The closer I got to his body, the more my eyes began to water. I shut them tightly trying to erase the image and the tears that were forming but it was like it was burnt into my brain, then somehow the image of Allison's body lifeless appeared and I could feel myself crumbling away. I never wanted to see another one of my friends like this, real or not.