16 Candles

<2009>

            "And if you want beef den bring da ruckus, cuz' Wu-Tang Clan aint nuttin ta fuck wit!" I said rapping along. Man, I loved Wu-Tang Clan. Especially Method Man and Inspectah Deck, they were real niggas. "Straight from da mutha fuckin slums dats  busted Wu-Tang Clan Aint nuttin ta fuck wit! Woo!" I continued to jam as I cleaned my room. Today will be a good day no matter what! It's my birthday and I'm finally turning 16. I was far too excited after my mom said I could go out with my friends tonight. It was to a hood party but it was a party, that's all that mattered. I never got to go out. My mom was strict on me getting good grades. I was at the top of my class so far and by the time I graduated I was sure I'd be valedictorian. Life was as good as can be.

            I had finished cleaning my room, the bathrooms, and my brother's room. And I did it all by noon so I figured I could ask my mom to take me shopping. I never went out so I never went shopping; I generally just wore David's clothes that he left behind. It was sad when David left but once he turned to the streets there was no getting him back. But he must be doing well for himself because the birthday after he left, my 14th, he sent me a juicy couture charm bracelet with a heart charm on it. He sent me a charm of a puppy last year. I wonder what he'll get me this year, the thought makes me anxious.

            I walked cautiously into my mom's room "Mom?"

            "Yes?" she said sounding slightly annoyed.

            "Can we go shopping, I saved up to buy some clothes for tonight." I said walking further into the room.

            "Sure, be ready in 5" she said distractedly.

            "Mom! Really!?" I said and boy was I excited. I was positive there would be a fight about it. But I didn't dwell on that too much, I rushed to get ready.

            In the store downtown I felt like I was finally grown, finally shopping for myself. Nothing was going to get my mood down, not even my mother and her smart remarks about how I looked in everything I tried.

            "Hmph, you really wanna buy that?" she said not even trying to hide her disgust for the tight royal blue knee length skirt I held in my hand. I knew she was jealous when she saw me come out of the dressing room earlier. No matter how much shit she talked about me, I knew I was beautiful. I never acted conceited but it was true. I had reached the height of 5 foot 7, I had long legs, thick thighs, a small waist and B cup breasts. I didn't have much of a J-Lo booty but my curves made up for it. My face wasn't bad either, no real bad acne and well defined features. Everywhere I went men would try me. The skirt fit and filled me out so perfectly that I knew her, post 3 child, body would envy. However, to keep her in a good mood I reacted to her the way she wanted.

            "I know mom, but I looked worse in everything else" I said as if asking for pity. She loved it. I don't know what made her feel this way towards me but today was not the day I wanted to think about it.

            "I guess it will be fine, get this tank and let's go, I want to enjoy my day off." She said handing me a plain black tank top. It worked so I took it and headed to the cashier. I didn't need to buy new shoes, my flats were nice and I haven't learned to walk in heels yet.

            On the way home the ride was silent. I liked it that way. Most conversations with my mom just turned into an argument.

            It was 8 pm and the party started at 9. I had just gotten out of the shower and was making my way to my room when my mom's new boyfriend walked past me. He gave me a lustful wink, but I ignored him. He wasn't going to ruin this night for me.