Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter23 – Time to talk

Alecleft without any questions. In the next two days Martha didn't hearfrom him while watching Tracy and John both getting ready for a date.The night they finally went out Jane was nervous and walked up anddown all night. "What do you think are they doing? Do you thinkthey will kiss? And what if they do... will Tracy still come backwith us or will she decide to live here? Good, Alec is gone or youwould both let me fly home alone"

"Whatdo you mean he is gone?" Martha grabbed Jane's hand and made hersit down on the couch next to her. It surprised her to hear Aleccould have left the village, but it seemed to be truth.

"Yes,Harry told me yesterday that Alec left immediately after lookingafter you. He didn't even say goodbye to his cousins. Oh, and Harryoffered to take us back to the train station when we go back.Obviously he can't take us all the way to London and did you know heis married to a vicar? I was shocked. What's wrong with men inBritain? They have the most sexiest accent in the world and eitherlook ugly or are married to women doing the most unsexiest jobs"Jane sighed but didn't pause for long. She kept complaining whileMartha didn't listen anymore. She had a feeling she knew why Alec wasgone and she also knew she should have been happy to hear of thenews, but she wasn't.

"Jane.Jane, stop" Martha took her friends hands and was fighting hertears. "Jane, I have to tell you something. I've never told youbecause it was too difficult for me to tell anyone... but before Imet you and we became friends... I loved somebody"

"You...Who?" Jane jumped on the couch and held her friend's hands tighter.Martha couldn't fight her tears anymore and had to cry. "I wasmarried early and we had a little girl..."

Thememories of her daughter were the most painful and the reason Marthanever spoke of her life before she and Jane became friends. After herdaughter died of a fever the marriage didn't work anymore and Marthawas divorced.

"That'swhy I never go on dates. That's why I never want to love again. Icouldn't deal with losing another child or even have one and see mydaughter in it everyday" Martha needed a hug and Jane didn't speak.She was a good friend and understood there were no words to makeMartha feel okay again.

Somethingof her was forever lost.

 "Thankyou for being my friend, Jane. I don't say it often enough" Hertears make her voice sound broken and make her think of Alec.Something had made his voice sound broken too, but now he was goneshe would never know it.