How About Now?

First, thank you to everyone who has voted and commented! I appreciate it so much and those notifications make me smile like crazy. Second, sorry about the wait but I hit a wall with this story for a while and couldn't get myself in the mood to write. Third, I broke this chapter into two parts because of how massive it was getting. Pt. 2 will be up soon. 

**************************************************************

'Is something wrong?' It was Cade who uncharacteristically barged into his mind, brow furrowed in concern at the abrupt retreat. 'What's wrong?'

Hizen couldn't help the curl of his lip as he forced his son back out of his mind, breaking the link. "Nothing's wrong," He answered aloud and abruptly stood. "I think we're done, no?"

Cade gave his father an odd look but refused to drill the older man. If he didn't want to talk, fine. Getting anything out of him that he wasn't inclined to share was useless and Cade honestly didn't have the energy to fight.

"Yeah, we're done. Tell me when the vomiting starts." His voice was clipped. Callous. In all likelihood he would feel bad about it later but not now.

Cade scooped Onna into his arms and Halia was immediately at his side as he strode from the room, casting a quick glance over her shoulder at his doppelganger before the curtain flapped into place behind them. He didn't speak as they wound their way through the tunnels back to his quarters, shoulders stiff even as he absentmindedly stroked the cat.

She wanted to put her arms around him and protect him from the obvious distress he was feeling. Even without knowing everything, she wanted to help. That hadn't changed.

They entered his room silently and Cade set Onna down on his bed. She blinked at him curiously before chirping in demand. A faint smile tugged at his lips and he rubbed her behind the ear, dragging a steady purr from the feline's chest. He sat beside her on the comforter and she sauntered into his lap before head butting him in the chest.

A low chuckle at her antics had Halia relaxing a bit. If he felt well enough to laugh, maybe now was a good time to talk? She sighed to herself and Cade looked up, green eyes still slightly shuttered from the earlier interaction with his father.

"Come here. I want to hold you."

She knew he was asking and not demanding. That fear of rejection still lingered in his eyes, still had a grip on his tongue. "Of course," Her answer was a whispered promise. "Whatever you want." Anything. Everything.

He went still as she stepped between his legs, Onna skulking away at the other female's approach. Head tilted back so he could meet her eyes, he repeated. "Anything?"

She hadn't meant to project her thoughts but she supposed it was better this way. "Mm, anything."

Cade looked away at her words and rested his forehead against her stomach, arms coming around the back of her thighs to draw her closer.

"You shouldn't say that." His voice was muffled as he glared down at the floor. He wasn't upset with her, he couldn't be. Not when she was so clearly devoted to him and his desires. And that's what concerned him. He didn't like the idea of Halia catering to his every whim, of denying him nothing. Cade couldn't be sure that he wouldn't abuse that trust in the future and that scared—no...terrified him.

"Hey," Her fingers sifted through his hair, gently tugging on the dark brown strands to coax his gaze back to hers. "What's the matter?"

He looked so sad when he finally responded. "I don't want to hurt you."