Chapter 2: Boys, Boys, and More Boys

So, remember when I stupidly thought my day, correction, life, couldn't get worse?  Of course, I was wrong. The boys were all lounging around the living room, it smelled like old pizza and...I don't even know what the other smell was. I rolled my eyes and slung my jean book bag over my shoulder.

"C'mon Ponyboy!" I shouted. Everyone was suddenly staring at me.

"How you doing, Stella?"  Steve asked gently, as if afraid talking loudly would shatter my ear drums or something.

Oh, my parents died two weeks ago but I'm fine.  Perfectly fine.  I thought bitterly.

"I'd be much better if my brother would hurry up!"  Pony chose that moment to run into the living room. Hallelujah.

"You're eyes look a little puffy St- " Two-bit started.

"Can you people be anymore insensitive?! God!" I screamed running to the front door. I slammed into Soda, sending us both tumbling to the ground.

"You okay Princess?" Soda asked standing up and holding his hand out for me.

  I took it and stood up. "I-I... " I ran out the door without a second thought, my eyes burning with tears.

I wasn't okay... I wanted my mom and dad back. I heard a low rumble of an engine idling beside me. I knew who it was but didn't even care. "Hey cutie..." A boy in a mustang said, the smell of alcohol almost unbearable.

  "Little bit early to be drunk, huh?" I asked. "Oh, but I forgot that you have no class whatsoever."

  He scowled and the car came to an abrupt stop.  I ran.  I ran as fast as my Converse clad feet could carry me. For a split second I thought I had outrun them... Nope. I gasped as I was tackled to the ground. The warm asphalt dug into the sides of my face. Little pieces of the faux rock cut through my jeans, drawing blood.

The boy on top of me had friends with him. He flipped me so I was on my back and proceeded to slug me in the face. Five times. My vision was blurry, and with a final kick in the ribs, I let the blackness surround me.

And everything disappeared.