9. "do you truly like me?"

I stared at him with wide eyes. "No, you won't." I said, trying to sound as calm as I could.

"Just you watch me."

I was about to say something when the homeroom bell rang and he turned towards the way of his homeroom. He ran off, while I just stood there wondering if what he was saying was the truth.

Would he really run away if I told?

.....

It's almost lunch period and I haven't said anything yet. And it's not because I don't want to, it's that I don't want Carter to run away.

He just seemed so sure of the fact of him running away when he said that. And yes, his family may be abusive and it'd be good for him to get away from them, running away from home was not the option. Then he'd be homeless, hungry, cold, lonely, upon many other things.

Or worse, he could become a prostitute. Which could lead to him getting an STD. Which then would lead to him possibly dying.

I can't let him do that.

I was interrupted from my thoughts when the bell rang. I packed my books in my bag and headed towards the cafeteria. I need to speak to Carter, I've tried to speak to him multiple times today but he kept avoiding me.

I was just entering the lunchroom when I realized that Carter wasn't seated in his normal seat. My eyes scanned the cafeteria quickly, but I had no luck in spotting him.

I quickly rushed up to the rest of the group, who were seated at the table. "Do any of you know where Carter is? He's been avoiding me all day." I said trying to sound as cool as I could.

"Why is he avoiding you?" Timothy spoke up before anyone could respond.

I stared at him for a few seconds. I can't tell them what's going on, Carter would never forgive me. "I don't know." I mean, it wasn't technically lying. Okay, that's a lie. "Look, if any of you see him, will you tell me?" I asked the group to which they all gave some kind of response.

I nodded my head in reply before rushing out of the cafeteria to search for Carter.

I ran to that bathroom I found him in last time, he wasn't there though. Then I rushed to his locker, just to find out that he wasn't there also. I ran out to the student parking lot and let my eyes scan the parking lot just to realize that he wasn't there either.

I groaned as I entered the school again. I was just about to give up when I passed by the library. I stopped and entered the library to check if he might be in here.

The librarian wasn't at her desk so she must be doing something else. I silently worked my way around the library and checked down all the rows. I sighed and was about to give up when I heard a door shut in the back.

I turned around to see Carter walking out of the back office with a stack of books in hand.

I sighed once again as I approached him. "Carter." I said, startling him so much to wear he dropped the books from his hands.

He looked over at me with wide eyes. "What are you doing in here?" He asked, surprised of me being in the library.

"I was looking for you. I thought you had run away." I said to him, as if it were the most obvious thing ever.

"Why?" He asked before his eyes seemed to get even bigger, if that was even possible. "Did you tell someone?"

I sighed. "No, I haven't."

He breathed a breath of relief before looking at me again. "Are you going to?" He asked, and you could hear the worry in his voice.

"I..." I trailed off, not really knowing what to say.

"Please don't." He begged. "If you tell, my parents will kill me before the police even have a chance to get them. Plus, it'll be super embarrassing especially since everyone will look at me like I'm some fragile piece of china." He shook his head. "Cant deal with that."

I sighed again. I was truly torn. I wanted to tell but I didn't want to hurt my little kitten.

I closed my eyes. "...I won't tell." I eventually said, surprising myself and him both.

He smiled at me. "Thank you Jesse!"

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever." I said, not really happy with my decision.

His smile lowered and he stared at me for a few seconds. He had a blank expression before he spoke. "Do you truly like me?" He asked quietly.

I smiled slightly at his cuteness. "Yes, I like you a lot."

He looked down at the ground and stared at it for a few moments before speaking again. "Can I ask you something?" He asked.

I nodded my head, but then realized that he was still looking at the ground so he couldn't see it. "Go for it." I said.

"Do people who like each other hug?" He asked, genuine curiosity and unknowing laced in his question.

"Yeah, I guess." I responded with a shrug of my shoulders.

He nodded his head, before speaking again. "Then...can I have a hug like the one you gave me yesterday?" He asked, his voice a little shaky as if I was going to yell at him for asking for a hug.

I smiled a small smile. "Of course." I said as I held my arms wide open.

He blushed as he approached me and curled his body into my chest and stomach, wrapping his arms around my torso. I rested my chin atop his head. He froze up for a second before nuzzling his face into my neck.

"You're so warm." He whispered against my neck quietly, so quietly that I almost didn't hear it. I could more like feel it than actually hear his words.

"What's going on in here?" A voice suddenly came from behind us. I turned around quickly to see the librarian.

Carter broke away from my hold and looked at the lady, worriedly. "I'm sorry Cheryl, I was just moving some books from the back and dropped them. Jesse came in and helped me."

Cheryl, the librarian, moved her gaze to me. "And who exactly is Jesse?"

"I am." I responded but she rolled her eyes.

"I know that, but who are you in association to Carter?" She asked in a snooty manner.

"Oh, we're friends." I said, to which she gave me a disbelieving look.

"I've never seen two guy friends hug like that before."

Carter blushed, while I just looked down sheepishly. "We were just doing a quickly friendly hug." Carter spoke up.

She nodded her head. "Okay." She said, with a tone that told me she didn't believe us. "Well, get those books on the shelf."

Carter nodded his head. "Of course, ma'am."

"And Carter." She said, stopping him before he could begin to collect the books off the floor.

"Yes?" He asked.

"Next time you want to have your friend help, just tell me ahead of time."

.....

I hope you all liked this chapter!

And just so you guys know, I had a great time at camp! It was so much fun!

THANKS!!! LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

read~enjoy~vote~comment~thanks

-MGN