Rooftop Radio

"Come on, Meeks!" I called over my shoulder, glancing to the classroom doors to make sure no teachers were watching us.

"Your legs are too long, Pitts!" My friend complained behind me, pushing up his glasses slightly. I stopped to let him catch up, staring at him for a few seconds. His blonde hair and freckled face were just too much for me. He was so cute.

Meeks has been a friend of mine since the beginning of the school year. We had instantly bonded over how ridiculously stupid it was not to know what was going on in the outside world. Oh, and no music. All we have is that bag pipe, and it sounds great when you first hear it, but once you start to listen, it sounds awful. That's why we had decided to build our own radio secretly. We were going to go test it out now.

"Ha! I'm in front now! Your long legs won't beat me!" Meeks called out to me as he ran past me down the hallway to the rooftop staircase, our radio bouncing up and down in his hands.

"Hey, be careful, Meeks!"

I sprinted after him, easily catching up and turning towards the staircase. I bolted up the stairs, taking two steps at a time. I quickly unlatched the hatch and climbed onto the roof. I gazed around at the campus. After taking in the scenery for a solid minute, I felt a tug on my pant leg.

I turned to see Meeks trying to hand me the radio. I took it from him and placed it on the railing of the roof, looking back at Meeks to see that he was struggling with hoisting himself up onto the roof. I reached down and grabbed him under his shoulders and pulled him up.

After being placed down safely, Meeks wasted no time in getting the radio ready. He placed the antenna in my hands and told me to place it on top of a small tower. I quietly climbed up to the top while Meeks watched me with a worried look. I placed the antenna on top, making sure it was secure.

"Hey, Meeks! Why don't you test it out?" I called to him, watching the antenna to make sure it didn't fall. When he didn't reply, I looked down to see that he was directly underneath me holding out his hands like he would catch me if I fell. "Meeks?"

"Yes?" He replied.

"What are you doing?"

He stood up straight again and pushed up his glasses in a cute way, slightly blushing. "Well, I, wanted to be there to catch you if you fell."

"That's awfully nice of you, but I need you to test the radio. I'll be fine."

The blonde slowly backed away then put on the radio headphones, making some adjustments, then motioning for me to adjust the antenna.

I jiggled the antenna a bit and watched as Meeks's eyes lit up. "Did it work?"

Meeks nodded, his blonde hair bouncing up a down as he did so. So cute.

I hopped down off of the small tower and slipped on my headphones. I smiled as the tune "Let's Have a Party" by Wanda Jackson streamed through the headphones.

Feeling extra daring thanks to the music, I grabbed Meeks's slightly smaller hands and spun him around. He was reluctant to dance at first but soon gave in. Our laughter filled the air as we got farther into the song.

As a final move I spun Meeks around and dipped him. I spotted a blush on his cheeks and I couldn't help but blush myself, lifting him from the dip. "Dear Meeks, you are one of the best things that has happened to me and I am lucky to have you. I think I might just love you."

Meeks froze and looked at me like I was crazy. Great. Meeks hugged himself and looked down at the floor.

"I'm sorry," I managed to whisper out after realizing what I had just said. I gently put my headphones down and looked out at the campus. I hadn't wanted to tell him about my feelings until we weren't in this school anymore. I didn't want to have to face him everyday if I was rejected. Now I have to face rejection from the one man who can make my mind race and my heart sing. Why did the song have to give me so much confidence?!

"Hey, Pitts?" A sweet voice called out to me, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"I'm sorry," I said a bit louder, tears threatening to fall down my face. "I'm sorry, I just got caught up in the moment."

"So, you didn't mean anything you said?" I could hear his heart sinking in his voice.

I sighed, letting some of my tears fall. "I meant it all. Every last wor-"

"Shhhh." I blushed as I felt Meeks wrap his arms around my middle and rest his head between my shoulder blades. He sniffed, trying to hold back tears. "I love you too, and I have since the day that I met you."

Unsure of what to do, I unhooked Meeks's arms from my middle and placed them around my neck. I then kneeled down and quickly pulled his legs up onto my hips so that I was giving him a piggy back ride. I stood up and put the radio in a secret area in the little tower.

I looked up at Meeks, who was busy sniffling into my shoulder. I lifted his chin with my hand and connected his soft lips with mine for a gentle kiss. Though it was only brief, it was still magical. Shortly after our kiss, I could hear a soft breathing coming from Meeks, telling me that he had fallen asleep. So cute.

I exited the roof, being careful not to run into any teachers. I carried Meeks back to his room while he slept soundly on my back. I opened the door quietly not wanting to wake Meeks and I entered slowly. I untucked the covers and gently pulled him off my back, placing him down in his bed and taking off his shoes. I pulled his sheets over him and tucked him in.

Before I left, I leaned down, giving him a kiss on the forehead.

"Goodnight, Meeks. I love you."