Prologue

Hi!

WARNING! This is book three of the Shadows of the Night series. If you haven't read book 1 and 2, please go back and start with "Breathe Under Water" - Don't miss all the fun ;-)

For the rest: I want to thank all of you for your support and for staying with this story for so long!

Lara

_____________________________________________________________________________

Copyright @ Lara Stein All Rights Reserved Copyright:

All the chapters and content of this book are copyrighted. All rights reserved by the author (Lara Stein) and any unauthorized copying, broadcasting, distribution, manipulation, or selling of this work constitutes as an infringement of copyright. Any infringement of this copyright is punishable by law. Any links, brand names or otherwise copyrighted material is not my own, and is not covered by my copyright. No copyright fragment intended.

_____________________________________________________________________________

PROLOGUE

Finding Maria dead in that alleyway was one of the worst things I ever went through. The thought that everything went downhill from that moment on sounds perverse, but I can't help thinking it.

So I went to a freaking Vampire League meeting in Pennsylvania, masquerading as the head vampire's human servant, to find her murderer and the reasons for why she ended up being dead. What I got instead was more than I asked for.

Most recently? I almost got killed by Thomas Burke, used an element that wasn't mine to call and had no idea how I did it, my roommate's brother Ryan disappeared, and to top things off I was kidnapped by a psychotic female head vampire. Did I mention the part where I had to let the head vampire of New York bite me?

I'm Alexander's human servant now, or at least he thinks I am, and the problems don't even start with the term. I've met enough specimen of the undead to know when a vampire meets the text-book definition of 'old as dirt.' Old equals power, and Alexander has shitloads of it.

Problem? I still have no idea how to get myself out of this mess.

(Anna Johnson)