Don't Trust | One

I dove under the water to see nothing but darkness. The water was so dirty and green. I'm probably going to need some eye drops after this. I swam back to the surface and wiped my face. I looked around and all of a sudden I felt something touch my leg. I tried to look under the water, but I couldn't since the water was so green and mucky.

I stuck my hand into the water and grabbed the thing that kept touching my leg. It was slimy. I pulled it out and it was algae. I put it back in the water. I got out and grabbed my towel. As I dried myself, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and there stood a Mexican girl. She was around my height. She had dark brown hair that reached the middle of her back and dark brown eyes.

"Hi" I spoke first. "Do I know you?"

"No" she answered. "I'm Alexa"

"Hi Alexa, I'm Maya" she smiles and I smile awkwardly.

"I've been watching you" she says and I froze.

"Watching me? Why?" I ask a little nervous.

"You seemed like a loner" she says and I'm taken back.

"Well I'm not. I just like having time to myself" I snap.

"Okay. Sorry. No need to get all mad" she says with hands raised.

"Sorry. I just hate being called a loner"

"Me too. Anyways are you alone?" She asks and I clearly take that as a red flag.

"Yeah. I told my parents I was going to stay at my friend's house for the rest of the trip here. But she has other plans, so I might just go back to my family. I haven't told them yet though" I explain and her eyes widened.

"You can stay with me" she says excitedly.

"I don't know..." I trail off.

"Don't worry my family and I won't harm you. My family is really nice and so am I" she says with a big smile on her face.

I thought about it. "Okay"

She jumps in excitement.

"I'm going to ask my parents if you could stay for a couple of days. I'll be right back. Don't move" she says.

"I won't" I say with a giggle.

I watch her as she runs off and disappears into the now becoming dark woods. I hadn't really noticed that the sun was already coming down.

I walked back to where my things were and began to pick up everything and place them in my bag. As I did, I heard a hiss. I turned around to see an old man sitting on the sand looking at me. I felt creeped out and looked away. I continued to pack my stuff.

"Be careful" he spoke. I turn around and look at the man again.

"Excuse me?"

"Be careful going into those woods" he says.

"Why?"

"Those Mexicans aren't the only things living in there" he adds.

"Are you trying to scare me?" I ask with a bit of attitude.

"No sweetheart" he gets up and starts walking towards me. I take a step back. "Don't worry, I'm not going to hurt you. But there's a family of cannibals living in there. Well, they live across the lake that's inside of the woods"

"And how do you know that?"

"I lived around here for many years. A family who lived in that cabin before those Mexicans were killed there"

I was starting to believe this man. Something told me to.

"Was the police informed?" I ask hoping for a good answer and not the stomach turning one.