Chapter 1 - Survival Of The Fittest

Please read the description of this book before reading. Pls. Pls. Pls. Pls.
An idea of what Topaz looks like and yeah I know you don't wear makeup in the apocalypse but this is what I found that I liked the best. I hope this helps y'all picture her better. ~ Jessica.

She's wearing black jeans, and combat boots, with a navy blue t-shirt and her hair up in a ponytail

Topaz's P.O.V

After the failed attempt of leaving Atlanta by car me and dad decided to head into the woods. With everyone packed on the highways trying to leave it was the only option we had. By the time we found a place to rest me and dad have figured out these things. I mean who hasn't seen all the movies and shit about zombies? Aim for the head. Don't miss. Simple. So we decide since him and I were not in experience of killing these things yet we'd stay in a tree for the night. Since dad was such a survival freak he always made sure he stayed fit. He was 52 but he knew how to climb a tree no problem like me. But he made sure I stayed fit as well, working out 6 times out of the week, at least three hours a day, you could say we are fit. Once at the top we each tie ropes around our waist incase we fall and wrap it around the tree. I had a decent size backpack for holding some essentials. I had some water, a water purifier which will be very handy, canned foods, granola bars, an extra set of clothes, plenty of knifes, two boxes of ammo, and a spare pistol. My weapon of choice though, a bow. No, not a crossbow. A real bow.

I held my bow in my lap with my arrows slung behind me

I held my bow in my lap with my arrows slung behind me. I had about 15. My dad had the same things in his bag but his weapon of choice, a 22LR pistol with a faux silencer. It was his favorite gun and with the silencer it was perfect and held 10 rounds. He's the one who taught me how to shoot a bow but he preferred a gun. I loved guns as well which is why I had a pistol in my bag as well, but I preferred a bow. We were each equally skilled with knifes as well because he made us both take a knife throwing classes for a year. Soon we taught ourselves the rest of the way. Mom was never around to I guess you could say "train" with us. But I didn't mind the training after all I started once I turned 13 and it just escalated from there. Mom always thought I should just be a normal teen and have fun but I wanted to be with my dad. Train with him. Survive with him. And that's what I was going to do. For as long as it takes. I was soon interrupted from my thoughts by my dad.