The Wild Princess

Consort Ma weaved her way though the garden. Taking care to avoid the low-hanging branches of a cherry blossom tree, she approached her favourite seat located near the pond. Lost in her thoughts, she tossed breadcrumbs into the ponds, watching the fish scramble for them but not really seeing.

In the recent months, Consort Ma had been concerned over the entry of her niece into the Inner Palace. The younger Ma had been selected not long ago, and the young, naïve girl had entered the Palace starry-eyed. Consort Ma sighed. The girl had no idea what was in store for her. She had been raised in her little town where everyone knew and treated each other well. She would not have been ready to handle the politics of the Inner Palace. Such matters were better left to the daughters of the upper class families, who constantly fought for the attention of highly ranked officials, and in the case of those who became consorts, the Emperor himself.

Consort Ma shook her head and went back to her quarters, resolving to warn her niece not to easily trust the other consorts.
-----------------
Young Consort Ma giggled as she stuck her head through the doorway of her aunt's living room. She had decided to pay the latter a visit for the first time ever in the capacity of an official Consort. Initially, there had been slight confusion when she had first entered the Palace, being that Ma was a rather unusual family name. Many people had mistakenly sent messages to her aunt instead of her, and sometimes, she felt great grief when she thought about having to live in her aunt's shadow all the time. However, within a few days, the matter had been resolved when people simply started addressing her as 'Young Consort Ma'. Spotting her aunt preparing tea, she hustled into the room and settled herself comfortably in the chair opposite hers. Consort Ma looked up, and shook her head in disapproval.

"Young Consort Ma, even if we are related by blood, you still have to adhere to court formality when visiting me, you know." Young Consort Ma pouted prettily, and stood up.

Bowing low, she greeted her aunt. 'Senior Consort Ma, Young Consort Ma pays her respects to you.' She bit her lip as the urge to laugh bubbled within her. Consort Ma, knowing her niece's character, sighed and waved her arm to indicate the dismissal of formality.

Young Consort Ma took her seat and sipped the tea in front of her. Her eyes widen at the pleasant fragrance of the drink. "Aunt Ma! Can you teach me how to brew this tea? I know that the Emperor loves tea, and I think he will like this!"

Consort Ma had long given up trying to get the younger girl to address her formally. As long as they were within private quarters, she let the young girl call her whatever she was comfortable with. The older Ma shook her head.

"Ma Yun, I can teach you this, but I doubt that your tea would be at the top of his list. You do know that no tea can replace the Empress' as his favourite, right?" Young Consort Ma's face fell, but she immediately hitched her smile back before her aunt could see it.

"It's okay, I still want to learn it anyway! Please, aunt!" The pleading gaze from the young girl prompted the older Ma to agree, and the younger girl cheered. Consort Ma grabbed her wrist to make her quiet down. Spotting the serious look on her aunt's face, the younger girl sat back down. She felt something important coming.

"Ma Yun, I know that I have not been a large part of your life, having left you for so many years. I have not visited my brother for years either. I hope that you and your family do not hold this against me." Seeing the young girl shake her head 'no' furiously, she smiled and continued, 'but now that we are living in the Inner Palace together, I hope that I can make up for it by guiding you. My brother and I would never forgive myself if anything were to happen to you now."

"Thank you, aunt! Now, can we get started on the tea, please?"

Consort Ma smiled and shook her head as she let herself be lead to the living quarters by her enthusiastic niece.
---------
Autumn was starting to creep into the air, making its presence known through the slowly changing colour of leaves. Young Consort Ma, taking her usual evening stroll in the palace gardens, was struck by a sudden sense of adventure. She decided to take a detour from her usual path, wanting to circle by the pond. As she rounded the corner of the path she was on, she spotted the silhouette of a slender girl ahead.