A Day Out

Breakfast was nice, before it became a ritual for the king and his son to argue for what seemed like an hour. I really didn't care anymore, but this time, I kept hearing my name tossed in the mix every now and then.

I no longer am taking notice of their conversation, albeit just yelling, and receive my hot chocolate and stare out the window at the cityscape and softly falling snow.
It was the beginning of December, Christmas season; and the holiday spirit was starting to kick in around the city.

I excuse myself from the hall, and stride toward my room to find the schedule for the day. Opening the door I find icicles piercing my throat whenever I breathe. My room was actually a death trap.
In what felt like a split second, I ran to my desk, grabbed the schedule folder  and dash out of my room.

"Eternally cold in there I guess" I sigh in disbelief as I walk back to the hall to tell the prince of his duties for the day.
I quietly swing open one of the two giant mahogany doors and walk towards the long dining table to sit across from the prince and discuss his day. Nothing usual.

"Good morning your majesties, good morning sire, I have your schedule for today" I repeat in a somewhat upbeat tone. Day in day out, surely that is engrained in his brain at this point.

"I have come to talk to you abo-" I begin to say, until abruptly cut off.
"Miss Fletcher, I apologise for cutting in, but my son and I have an important matter to discuss, I ask that you may leave us be for some time." Said the king, clearly not apologetic in his response.

"My apologies my king, I'm sorry if I had intruded in an important matter" I reply and now my head and begin to walk out of the room. I begin to open the door when I feel a hand on my shoulder.
"My dear, I am to go into town shortly, I wish for you to accompany me, if you wish to that is."
The mysterious voice was that of none other her majesty, the queen.

Stunned, I couldn't think of a reply. I quickly gathered my thoughts to formulate a decent response.
"It would be an honour to accompany you for any length of time, your majesty" I reply with somewhat haste.
"Good, there are some things I wish to discuss with you also." She said immediately after my response.

I hope it's nothing bad...