Birthday Morning

"Get off!" I groan as my dog, Sadie, plops her 135 pound frame onto my stomach. " Sadie you aren't some lap dog!" I tell her pushing her off. To be honest she was the exact opposite of a lap dog, Sadie is a great dane, german shepherd, lab mix my family rescued. We have been inseparable since the day we brought her home. I tweak my curtains open and shade my eyes from the morning sun. I see the barn doors open and catch a glimpse of my mom feeding horses, usually I'm up at 4:30 to help feed the 14 horses we have. My mom was nice enough to give me off on my birthday.

Sadie jumps down and goes to wake up Jade, my best friend, who is sleeping on the futon across my room.

Jade groans as Sadie jumps on top of her. Jade stretches and pets Sadie before turning to look at me and smiling.

"What's sixteen feel like?" She teases even though she already knows because she was born a month before me.

"Feel's good!" I exclaim patting my bed while stretching.

Sadie comes barreling across the room and leaps onto my bed knocking me over in the process. We start to wrestle and Jade comes over and joins in.

"Pinned ya!" Jade tells Sadie gently rolling her onto her back.

All three of us look up when we hear my door open.

"Breakfast is ready." My dad comments from my door smiling at the scene before him.

Sadie leaps out of bed and races downstairs hot on Dad's heels.

"Race you!" I challenge Jade.

"You're on!" She retorts.

I leap off my bed and race down the stairs with Jade right next to me. We both slam our hands against on the marble countertop at the same time.

"I win!" We shout at each other. We look to my mom for help but she just shakes her head and takes her coffee to the table. I look at the food layout before me and contemplate what I want. I settle for two belgian waffles smothered in warm peanut butter and syrup, some toast and some fresh fruit. Jade grabs the same and we head to the back porch to enjoy the sun and watch the horses. I sit on the porch swing and Jade plops down next to me while Sadie heads down the steps to make her rounds and check the perimeter of the property.

I smile as one of my horses, Grace, catches wind of me and comes galloping up the fence. Even though we are about 250 feet from each other I can sense her excitement over seeing me.

"Hi pretty girl." I call to her. She nickers and Jade and I laugh.

Jade's favorite mount, Cash, is at the fence next. He pricks his belgian sized ears at both of us but Grace pins her ears and chases him. He bucks and they start galloping around playing. I smile watching them as I finish the last of my breakfast. Its not very often you see a Arabian cross and a Belgian playing together. I put my plate on the porch and Sadie comes over to lick the remaining syrup of.

Jade places her plate next to mine.

I head in and Jade follows with our plates. She places them in the sink and we head upstairs to get dressed. I pull out a pair of jean shorts and a blue crop top with lace at the bottom. I go into my bathroom to change. When I come out I see Jade is dressed in almost the same thing but her crop top is black with lace. We smile at each other and we head back downstairs.

"Hey girls." My mom says from her spot on the front porch

"Hi." We chorus

"Have you been out to the back of the hay barn yet?" She asks excitedly

I shake my head and give Jade a look. My mom is hardly excited unless she was hiding something she knew I would like.

"Well let's go!" She exclaims jumping up.

Jade and I follow her around, past a confused Grace and Cash and to the front of the barn where we store the hay for our horses. My mom pulls out a bandana and flourishes it before placing it over my eyes.

"Can you see anything?" Jade asks while mom finishes tying the knot.

"No. Jade do you know what's happening?" I ask her

"I legit have no idea." She answers and I hear the honesty in her voice.

My mom takes my hand and starts leading me. We come to a stop and I hear Jade gasp.

"What!? What is it?!" I ask worriedly. I feel mom start untieing my bandana and it takes a second for my eyes to adjust to the morning sunlight but when they do I gasp and look at my mom to find my dad standing right next to her.

"For me?!" I screech

They nod and I bolt towards them and hug them before running towards my new truck.

"It's exactly what I wanted!" I tell Jade and it was. It is a 2016 black ford super duty dually diesel.

We hop in and I admire the black leather seats.

I get back out and walk back towards my parents and Jade follows.

"I was gonna ask to borrow your truck so we could go into town but now can I take mine?" I ask

"Sure, but be back by 5. We have stuff to do" My dad warns

"We will." I say before running back to get in the drivers seat.

"Aj we are serious you NEED to be here by no later than 5." My mom says seriously.

"I promise I'll get her here on time." Jade tells my parents.

Jade climbs into the passenger seat. I grab the keys off the center console, start the truck and smile at the powerful sound it makes.

Jade laughs at me and I back out of the driveway and onto the road.

I roll the windows down and turn the country station on and before long Jade and I are both singing along Backround Song by Granger Smith

A/N thanks to all the lovelies who are reading this story. If any of you are wondering this story is just coming to me. None if this has ever happened. Ik Ik I'm crazy. Thanks again lovelies <3