fourty nine

Jack got up immediately as I walked behind him, nervously. His sister shot daggers at him whilst whispering words to his mother.

He got to the table, both of his relatives eying him down.

"What is this? Why are you following me? You could've called" Jack spat.

"How? You never answer, you reject our calls. Send us the same bullshit 'I'll get back to you' shit. Jack, we need help" His sister raised her voice.

"Calm down" Jack peered over his shoulder checking to see if the waiter came back.

"No. You forgot about us"

"I'm not dealing with this right no-"

" I'm dying Jack" his mom interrupted. My mouth was gaped and my hand quickly covered it.

"I don't want any mone-"

"Mom we need it!"

"Its okay, Jack I just want to spend time with you. I miss you"

Jack's lips quivered and tears rimmed his eyes.

"No, no. You can't be" he leaned up, taking his index finger between his teeth.

I immediately felt bad. I knew how this felt. I still do. The familiar pain ached in my chest to see Jack cry.

Tears streamed down his face as his sister scolded him.

"And the fucked up part is, the doctor said if we could pay for the chemotherapy we had a strong chance at beating this. But as usually, your family isn't your first fucking priority. We left 98 voicemails, I sent letters, you never probably opened them" Laura spit at the ground by his feet.

And I felt immensely guilty. He spent time with me, time he could've dedicated to his family. He spent thousands on this dress, on the ticket to france, to fly my family out.

I found myself with tears in my eyes.

"And you could have the decency to tell you're new girlfriend or whatever, that this is a family issue" Laura croaked, her voice cracking.

"No, Laura it's okay. Just please, Jack. Can you at least come back to Seattle with us? Alone if you don't mind. I miss you" His mother smiled weakly.

"Where- Where- Where was dad when all this happened? Why didn't he fucking help!" Jack grabbed his mother's cold, aching hands.

"He left a year ago. It's ok, Jack. I won't ask him for anything. It's too much trouble"

The pain they all must be feeling, the tragedy. So relative, it almost felt like it was her going through it again. The confusion, the realization, devastation. All consuming you at once.

The brave smile on his mom's face, the reassuring comfort of her hand in his.

"Alright" he spoke.

+

"Its my fault" Jack kept blurting as I helped him pack.

"I could've stopped it, I could've made it go away" he added. "I was so set on rebelling against my dad, I forgot about my mom. My sisters, my brother. Everything" he paused, looking at me. "I spent so long trying to be bigger than him, to rebel against him, and I forgot the one thing that mattered to me. My family" he threw numerous random shirts in his suitcase.

I was at loss for words, I couldn't speak. I didn't know what to say. How to help.

"She's still alive. Show her and your family that you care. Be there for her as long as you can. She'll appreciate it" I spoke, my hand laying on his shoulder.

Her turned around and wrapped his arms around my body, pulling me close.

"I don't know how I'm gonna do it. Especially without you"

"They're your family, not strangers Jack. Be yourself" I kissed his cheek.

"I left them, Rose. I let them struggle day by day. I could've done something" his voice was low and weak, his head hung low.

"You are strong, Jack. Your mom needs you. She needs you and your strength, keep her strong too"

"I've been through this, it's all you can do babe. And she needs you to do is be there" I continued.

"If I need you, can I call you?" He asked

"Of course, I'll always be here"

+

"I'll be back in 3 weeks. You, Johnson, and Cam are in charge of the house. I know you don't get along with then but please"

I wanted to protest and say no, but in such a vulnerable state. I couldn't.

"Okay, be safe" I gave him a long hug and a kiss.

I walked back in the house, sighing outwardly.

I have to deal with all this weight.

Not to long after Jack left, I sorted out all his paper work and in a drawer in the kitchen.

I found the letters his mother sent.

Each one around the same week, month. Persistent, but never got an answer.

It doesn't even look like Jack got to see them.

This is the only place where he never keeps documents.

Somebody hid them here.

I went up to Jack's room, first draw on the left.

Letters from his dad.

Never read.

Never opened.

I opened one to see there was no letter in the inside.

Somebody knew about this. Somebody made sure he couldn't help his family.

Who?

----

Its bout to get real af again guys