Coming back

I prepped for the show with my assistants, continuously briefing them on their performance. I knew they were getting distressed & a little impatient by this unrelenting hammering, but that's what I really wanted..

Bob came in occasionally and looked at me a bit perplexed by my sudden piqued enthusiasm in the events, but I  went on through my routine with a straight face and no more than a look in his direction. After some time he seemed satisfied and continued on to the next area. And as expected he completely missed why I was practicing alone, while guiding my team to stay together.

We performed the routine and as expected it was flawless for the first four days. Then on the last show of the week, when we were performing, I slyly introduced my newly practiced act in the show. As expected, the audience was enthralled seeing the bikes going around the death well. And then I jumped, but this time I didn't leave my bike and I didn't jump towards my assistants. I jumped out of the ring and among the crowd. And with a loud gasp from the crowd, I performed my well-practiced fall. The moment I jumped I knew there would be no coming back from this, but that's how this was destined to be and more importantly- that was the plan.

I actually fainted after the fall and the next thing I know, somebody was fussing over me in a closed room.
Oh how confused I was for the first few groggy hours. My head felt like it had been hit by a truck. But then the moment of truth came when a hand I knew so well started caressing my forehead. Unable to believe it was him I forced my eyes open and the moment I did that, he jerked his hand away.
"What the hell did you think you were doing? Do you have any clue how worried we all were?" he almost shouted.
"Well that was the plan..right?" I said weekly.
"No, the plan was that you....oh never mind..you are anyways so freakishly adamant."
I wanted to protest but the words died on my lips...I was just thankful he was around and the plan had worked. But why was my leg paining so badly. And it hit me...was this why he was so mad..had I lost my..
"Stop right there Missy..nothing like that happened. You just had a small sprain and will be out & kicking in a week."
Had I said it aloud. How did he always know what I was thinking. This is so damn irritating. What if he could really make out my thoughts for him. My face flushed and I averted my eyes towards the window.
"Is the plan still in place?"
"Very much..why do you think I am here?"
I felt a pang of disappointment but daren't let that come over my face. Who was I kidding, of course his being here was a part of our plan. He wouldn't be here otherwise. But the hope in my heart still tugged at it slightly and I knew I had to push it in some darkest corner. No there was nothing as togetherness, I would not let it..he wouldn't be interested and most importantly I had far more important priorities..
I hid my emotions with anger
"No am sorry, you know...I blacked out and just came back to the world...and I should automatically know what happened behind my back..coz dude am so into freaking listening to people in comatose...right?"
No sound and then a morphed chuckle..the nerve of him..he was laughing at my expense...great let him enjoy the show..I hissed.
But then something suddenly caught my attention. I hadn't realized earlier but nobody from the circus seemed around. Had they left me alone-actually with Mark. So much for being a star performer. Where was everybody. Again before I even opened my mouth, Mark answered
"They were here two days ago. When you didn't come around for a week everybody left. Actually the crowd was trickling till yesterday then I guess they thought its useless...whatever be it..I think it worked in our favor..Now at least we can work on the second part of the plan..so far I haven't been able to think straight...you scared the s...highlights out of me.." he blurted and then stopped abruptly. I guess he never meant to get into the emotions dept. It made me smile a bit.
I absorbed what he was saying. Did this mean that our plan had worked or was Bob playing some of his sick tricks. Whatever be it, but I guess this left us some time to strategise our next move.
Mark was looking at me with glassy eyes. I guess he was already having some ideas. It irritated me a bit more..coz I had none coming in this thick skull of mine.
And then he smiled gently..not the usual rugged sexy smile but a parent smile...a smile my mom would give me when I sucked at stuff and nod her head..oh Mom where are you...
Where ia my family..have even they list hope...I shook my head. Where was I going with this. This is not the time nor place.
Mark was pouring me a glass of juice and held it under my nose with the smile still pasted across his face. I guess he had come up with something and this made him relatively calmer...and I whose life the plan was going to be, had no clue what in the god's name was it going to be this time around. Mark was never about the easy way. My anticipation and dread, both grew at the same time...