Chapter 4

The world did not like to "pay for what it has done". The world was well informed that it had no repercussions for its actions.

And therefore, the world threw everything it had at Silver in spite. "Everything" being a boy named Gold, who happened to be clumsy. (for sure, it wasn't Silver that had bumped into Gold. That was impossible. Obviously.) And, it so happened that Gold saw his card with his name. Gold looked a bit too happy with it in his hands. When Silver pulled it free, Gold signed rapidly at him, which was distressing, because Silver had no idea what he was trying to say. "What are you- Calm down! I don't speak sign language!" Silver snarled. The boy stopped signing, but the excitement in his face was not dulled in any way. Suddenly, something clicked in Silver's mind. "YOU! You're the one I saw in the window!" He hissed. Gold nodded quickly. Silver stared incredulously at him, then shook his head to clear it. "Ugh, never mind. I have better things to do-" Gold latched onto his wrist with a grip that could have broken his arm. Silver yelped as Gold began to drag him back to the town he stole his Pokemon from. "Arceus! What are you doing?!" Silver dug his heels into the dirt, but Gold pulled him along anyway. "I can't go back there- stop it!" Worry spiked in his chest- If Gold dragged him back to his dead end town, there might be an officer there. If there was an officer there...

Silver couldn't go back there.

"Okay, you need to let go, NOW. I'm not going back ther-" Silver was cut off by a loud, piercing yell that would put a Exploud to shame. "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLD!!!" Silver flinched as a blue haired girl charged forwards, slamming into Gold with the force of a 230 pound football player in a way that seemed strangely playful. Gold nearly fell over, just barely catching himself. Silver felt very conscious of his skinny, pale frame now. "Who's this?" The girl grinned, looking over to Silver expectantly. Silver stared at her, with what was very likely a worried look. He waved his hand a little, hoping it would suffice for a greeting. It apparently did, because she grinned brightly, then turned to Gold, who began signing with one hand. She watched intently for a moment, before squinting. "Hey, I can't hear you with one hand."

Silver was more confused than annoyed now. He just wanted to get a Pokemon, how on earth did he manage to get himself literally dragged into this? Gold let his wrists go, which he immediately rubbed. He was very, very mistaken when he thought Gold was weak, at least in body. Gold began signing again, and this time, the girl's eyes widened. Then, she laughed. Gold whined a little-the sound was strangled, but it got the point across, because she stopped laughing, then 'listened' more, occasionally signing back.

Silver stood to the side awkwardly, wondering if it would call too much attention to himself if he bolted. Silver's eyes shifted to the Pokeball at his belt. Never-mind. He wasn't taking any chances. The signing ended, and Silver looked over to them again. "Huh. Your name's Silver then? I'm Crystal." She held out her hand, which Silver took reluctantly. Her grip was as tough as Gold's, if not more. Silver was worried about that, but he was more worried about the fact that these two knew now knew his name. "Y-yeah, I've got to go, uh, my. Mom. Is gonna be worried about me." Silver cursed himself as he stuttered so violently. No one would believe a lie that was uttered like that. Crystal's head tilted, then her eyes looked to the Pokeball at Silver's side. "So, what Pokemon do you have?" She asked casually. "Casually", in the way that a police officer was casual while questioning you. Silver hated that tone of voice- it set him on edge, and made his blood run cold. "Uh-Chikorita! My-my mom bought it for me." Silver was sticking with the stutter- it would seem suspicious if it stopped now. Crystal met his eyes evenly. "Your mom must be very well connected, because there's only a few Chikorita in Johto. They're very hard to find, you know. And the only one I know of nearby is-" Crystal stopped talking to look over at Gold, who looked rather distressed while waving his hands fretfully. It was a pitiful sight, and it made Silver feel worried, despite his own sense.

"Gold?" Crystal's cool tone dissolved into sisterly worry. "What's wrong?" Gold began signing again, and Silver watched intently. He had seen signing before, because sign language was taught in almost every school in the world. The only reason Silver wasn't fluent was because he hadn't gone to a normal school. He still watched, hoping to be able to pick out anything he might have seen before, but he didn't see anything familiar. Crystal stared, that cool look coming back while Gold 'talked'. She signed back a few times, which Gold answered frantically. Silver yet again stood awkwardly in silence. Eventually, Crystal sighed, then turned to Silver, fire in her eyes. "Battle me. Prove that you're going to be nice to this Pokemon you stole." Silver gritted his teeth. Battling he could do. Being nice...

Whatever. He could fake his way through. "Fine then. Fight me." He answered, dropping the shy body language and the stutter. He fell back into his normal frame, lithe, and almost predatory in his movement. Both new trainers squared off, eyes narrowing as they pulled out their Pokeballs. Gold watched worriedly. Silver took a deep breath, and set his feet in the dirt steadily. The fact that this was his first battle burned in his chest, and he couldn't help feeling a little giddy.

He couldn't wait to finally win at something.

AN: FINALLY, IT'S BACK BABY!! I hope you enjoyed!