Chapter 19: transition

The air around us grows warm and it begins to crackle with the sudden presence of magic. I look back at Yugi and feel myself begin to panic as he fades out of view, his bright smile ever present through the golden light. A strong and warm hand ruffles my hair roughly, reminding me of its presence and I glance up at the hands owner anxiously. My mind completely filled with anxiety for Yugi.
   "There is no need to fear." He says with his warm and smooth voice. "Yugi has just returned home, now it is only the three of us within the millennium puzzle."
   "Why send Yugi away?"
   "It's probably better for him not to see us merge." Atem says lowly. "It would story him to see what parts of our personality disintegrate before his very eyes."
   "Precisely," Ra says with a knowing smile. "All of this was done as a mercy for Yugi. We all know how deeply involved he is with each of you, so if he was forced to choose which one of you should remain it would take quite the toll on his young soul, don't you think?" I frown at the thought and remain silent. From the sound of things, it was probably for the best that Yugi was dismissed from this place. I don't think I would be able to bare to see anymore pain in his eyes.
   "We both want the same thing Yami." Atem says quietly. I meet his gaze and find it to be hesitant and unsure. His expression wavers between seriousness and anxiety. I can't help but stare at him in surprise.  "Yugi deserves to be with the person whom he fell for as soon as he reconstructed the puzzle, the whole person. Now, I suppose, all that's left is to figure out just who is going to fade and who will remain."
   "Atem," I murmur. "I don't want anyone to fade."
   "Well we can't both remain. You of all people should know that two souls cannot reside within one body forever." Crimson eyes stare intently at my face, his gaze is unwavering as he looks into my very soul seeming to discern it's merit just from my eyes alone. "Yugi deserves so much better than to be with only half of a man."
   "He's right you know." I glance over at Ra who is looking at both of us with a genuine frown. "Unfortunately the circumstance requires one of you to fade. If I could change the circumstance and lessen the price that one of you must pay I would, but unfortunately this situation and the price that must be paid is set in stone. Not even a God can interfere."
   "I can't just believe that it's hopeless." I glare in the direction of the God of sunlight. "How can you expect me to just accept this horrible fate that you have thrust upon us? I refuse to accept it! There has to be another way for both of us to survive this and to be with the one we love!" Atem stares at me with a sorrowful frown playing across his lips.
   "I wish I shared in your confidence and belief. Though we both know that if one of us is going to fade it will never be you."
   "What are you talking about?" I stare at my other half in dumb shock. I can't believe what I'm hearing is he really trying to tell me that he is willing to fade away and never be with Yugi again? My heart is pounding in my chest and my palms are beginning to sweat, this is too much for me to bare. Even though he and I were on two separate sides when we first encountered each other I can't bare the thought of him vanishing for all eternity. "Do you even understand what you are saying?"
   "Yugi has built a life with you. A future. A family. How can you expect me to just walk into the life that you was created with him as if nothing is happened, as if I truly belong there?" Atem asks with a sad smile. "I know better than anyone the feeling of loneliness and loss, so why would I thrust upon you the other part of myself who actually succeeded in finding and keeping love in the future?"
   "I won't allow this to happen! I refuse to allow this to happen!"
   "You can't make him go against something he has already decided on Yami." Ra chimes in. "He is a part of you and he shares your stubborn spirit, he won't be dissuaded very easily."
   "Ra, I have a question for you." Golden eyes narrow in suspicion as they regard me.
   "And what would that be?"
   "What would happen if instead of having one soul fade away you have half of two souls fade away instead of one entirely?"
   "Yami." Atem looks upon me with a shocked expression, his body trembling. "What are you doing?"
   "I won't be able to look him in the eyes ever again knowing that the part of the man he first fell in love with vanished because I allowed it. That is why I'm going to do everything in my power to save you."
   "Yami you-"
   "That is a rather interesting question. As far as my knowledge is concerned it is never been attempted. It sounds a bit unpredictable and risky."
   "Though it would meet the requirements would it not?" Ra smiles at us wryly.
   "It would." He says as he comes to stand before us. "But I believe you be safe to say that you will need my assistance in this endeavor. Since this is uncharted territory you were planning to thrust yourselves in."
   "Why are you both doing this? I have excepted my fate why are you putting up as many roadblocks as you can to alter it? My fate is set in stone, let it be."
   "Being with Yugi was also set in stone. I refuse to allow one of us to be slighted of our fate. We deserve to be with him and so we shall be. What do you need us to do my Lord?"
   "Let's start by picking the memories that you wish never to remember again and to allow to fade away into the shadows. Memories are a large part of what makes up a soul so the more memories you give up the more of your soul your allowing to disappear. I suggest you give it some thought."
   "I think your choice would be rather simple Atem." I say teasingly. "To forget all of the time that you've been locked away inside of the puzzle unable to interact with the family that you belong to."
   "Then what would you forget? You have never had to endure that kind of suffering so what memory could you possibly ever want to forget?"
   "I want to forget all of the pain, the darkness, all of the horrid traits that live inside of me. I would give up that part of myself all those horrible memories to allow both of us to be with the one we love and the children that we've created together. Now, let's go home." Ra places a hand on both of our heads and I can't help but stare at Atem. Tears are streaming down his cheeks as he looks backs at me. A small smile is playing across his lips and he mouths the words thank you before the golden light consumes us both and I can't feel a thing.