Don't Touch Me

The crazy scientist guy brought us back to the room that had the spaceship in it. I wasn't sure where everyone else had gone, it was just me and David following Dr. Okun.
As we walked back into the room again, I was once again amazed at how large the spaceship itself was. If that was a tiny spaceship compared to the spaceships over the cities, which in turn were small compared to the mother ship parked by the moon, I didn't want to even imagine going near the mother ship.
This time we didn't stop just by the spaceship, Dr. Okun led us up some stairs and straight into the ship.
Inside of the craft, it wasn't as spacious as it looked to be from the outside, though that was most likely due to the weird pillars, three large seats, and control panel stretching across the front of it.
"Well, obviously this, er, this cockpit was designed to seat 3, though how they sat on things I don't know," Dr. Okun explained.
That was a good point, the seats were really weird looking, with not much room for someone to sit on. Did the aliens even have butts?
I shook my head at myself, smiling at the weird thought.
"You see these gizmos flashing?" the scientist continued, moving towards the control panel at the front, and pointing at a bunch of blinking lights next to what looked to be a steering wheel.
David and I both nodded, and moved closer to get a better look at them.
I tried to make it so I knew what I was looking at, even though I honestly had no fricken clue, but I didn't want to look stupid.
"We've been working around the clock trying to get a fix on all this crap. Some stuff we figured out right away. Uh, this, we're pretty sure, is the life support system for the cabin," Okun started to explain, pointing to different pieces of the console in turn as he tried to explain what they did. "And this do-hickey over here is connected..."
I laughed as the "do-hickey" as he called it, broke off in his hand as he touched it. David even cracked a grin as well.
"Oh, er, was connected with the engines..." He tossed the now broken piece of metal to the side. "These configurations, er, well, to be honest with you we don't know what the hell this crap is. But this is clearly what they use to er, guide and navigate their craft," Okun continued, pointing to a large screen that sat right about on the center of the console.
I moved in closer as I noticed that the configurations that Okun was referring to looked very similar to the signal that David and I had uncovered.
"David, those are just like what we saw," I said to him as I stared closer at the screen.
David nodded, agreeing with me. "Yeah, yeah I think it might be the same...could you hand me my computer, Ellie?"
My eyes didn't leave the screen as I pointed at him. "You're closer."
David sighed and I swear I could hear him roll his eyes. But he still turned around and grabbed his computer himself.
I smirked at him as he came up beside me with his computer in hand, and he just glared at me.
He pulled the signal that we had seen up on his computer screen, and angled it so that Dr. Okun could see it easily.
"They're using that frequency for computer communications, but it's the same signal that they used in their countdown. See, its how they coordinate their ships," David explained to him.
Dr. Okun just stood in silence for a moment, looking between the two of us and the computer. "You know, you're really starting to make us look bad," he commented, looking almost disappointed that he wasn't the one who had discovered that.
I almost laughed at that, once again. I was figuring out that, once you got past the annoyingly flamboyancy and ignorancy of the scientist, I suppose he was pretty funny.
Just as I was leaning forward to continue analyzing and comparing the two signals along with David, a scientist in a white lab coat came running into the spaceship.
"They've got one," he said breathlessly, with his hands on his knees, trying to catch his breath. "Alive."
Dr. Okun's eyes widened to approximately the same size of the spaceship we were in, and he immediately began towards the other scientist and off of the ship. "Jesus!" he exclaimed excitedly. He paused for a moment to look back at us. "Will you two be okay in here on your own?"
I was about to open my mouth to make some sassy remark such as "we'll just burn it down as soon as you leave, it's alright", but David cut me off before I could, probably cuz he knew I would do exactly that.
"Yeah, we'll be fine." He glared at me, silently telling me not to say anything dumb like I was planning to. I pouted. He takes the fun out of everything. Come on mom you're so lame.
Dr. Okun jumped out of the spaceship, yelling "Don't touch anything!" over his shoulder at us.
I snorted. Yeah, we shouldn't touch anything, who's the bloody one who broke off the stupid do-hickey two literal seconds ago? Hypocrite.
"Everyone tells me not to touch anything," David muttered. "Don't tell me not to..." He started placing his hands all over the "dashboard" of the console. "See, see?...ew..."
I started busting a gut laughing when I noticed that his hands were completely covered in dust and alien goo.
"That's what you get for touching thinnngggs," I sang, grinning, and then sitting next to him.
"Shut up," he mumbled, looking for somewhere to wipe his hands off on. As soon as his eyes met mine, I started to back away.
"Don't you dare," I warned, hands outstretched to protect myself.
He reached his hands toward me to try and wipe them off on my sleeve and I ran.
"Don't touch me!" I yelled, running around the spaceship with him chasing me, gross hands and all. I heard him laughing behind me, closer than I thought he was, and I cursed my short legs for causing me to be so slow.
As I was about to make another lap around the interior of the spaceship, my foot caught a small step on the floor that I hadn't noticed was there, and I tripped.
I saw the ground start rushing up towards me, and I didn't have time to stretch out my hands to catch myself. I braced myself for the impact on my face, but before I could hit the floor, I felt strong arms wrap around my waist from behind me, stopping me from falling.
David pulled me back up to my feet, and then turned me around so I was facing him. I almost jumped in surprise when I realized how close we were. My chest was almost touching his, and his arms were still wrapped around my waist, with his hands on my hips.
My face started to flush, and I looked up, and saw his face only inches from mine.
My heart almost jumped out of my chest. I had to keep my eyes focused on his, and try and prevent them from wandering down to his lips, which was hard because I was shorter than him, so his lips were really right at eye level. Not to mention they looked so pink, and plump and kissable.
My face started to get even more red as these thoughts crossed my mind. What the heck? I had never really thought this way about David before, and I didn't know what the heck was wrong with me right now. This was a serious situation, the whole world could quite literally end at any moment, but all I could focus on was David's face right before mine, and I couldn't even explain why.
I cursed myself for being so easily distracted, and tried to steer my brain away from such thoughts, but man, I really fricken wanted him to kiss me.
David's face started to slowly split into a smirk, and he seemed to inch forward towards me.
Before I even realized what was happening, his hands had unwrapped themselves from around me, and moved to my upper arms.
Was he gonna?...wait a minute...
I glared at him as I realized that he was wiping his still disgusting hands off on the sleeves of my shirt.
I pushed his chest, pushing him away from me. "Jerk," I mumbled, ignoring his laughing as I started to inspect the sleeves of my shirt. My lip crinkled up in disgust as I saw how filthy they were now. "That's so grosssssss," I whined.
David just continued to laugh, and I pouted.
"David! Elaina!"
We both quieted down and headed towards the door of the spaceship. I peered out of the door and saw Julius standing there.
"What's up, pops?" David asked as we both climbed out of the spaceship and back onto the ground.
Julius' face looked very grim, and I got a sinking feeling in my stomach. Whatever he was about to tell us, it wasn't gonna be good.
"They're going to launch," he said quietly, looking straight past me at David.
"The President authorized a nuclear strike."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A/N: Sorry it took so long to update!! I'm at camp for the week, and I was mid-chapter when I got here, so I've been trying to finish whenever I had time. I'll work on the next chapter as much as I can, and I'll try to get it out a little faster than I did with this one!
Thanks for the votes and hearts and comments and stuff!! I love you all!!! :D