Ms. Santiago's Rules

I walk into dance Saturday morning; annoyed, to say the least. Last night I got that Burger King date I was promised and I didn't work off the fat. But, I'm happy to know it isn't cramps.

I stretch on the bar for 2 minutes before Autumn prances in and taps me on the shoulder as if I didn't see her.

"What?"

"Mrs. Santiago wants to see you. She says its urgent."

"Why are you even here on a Saturday? Sunday is you weekend day."

"I was just leaving, actually. You seem a little under the ropes! Bad breakup or just the time of the month?" And like that she walks out the door. I scoffed and dramatically fall to the floor. I don't have enough energy for this, I think to myself.

I practically crawl to Mrs. Santiago's office. She's the artistic director of our Company. I knock before entering.

"Hi Mrs. Santiago. You wanted to see me?"

"Ah yes, Tessa." She paused staring at her Red Shoe pictures.

"It comes to my attention that you have a boyfriend. Jacklyn?"

"James. Yes, why?"

"Yeah that can't be permitted."

"What do you mean, ma'am?

"You can't date boys right now." I'm holding my breath by now.

"Why not? He completely supports me. And in all respect, what does my personal life have to do with my dance career?"

"Everything, darling. Men are just a distraction. Take my word for it." she scoffs.

"He supports me through everything! He loves me!" The words fall out my mouth like a waterfall.

Does he love me? Is it to soon for that?

Do I love him back?

"No such thing. You can choose. The Red Shoes or Jack." I ignore her.

"Ok." She gets up and leaves me in her office. I can't help but cry. I grab my dance bag from the studio and walk home. So much for my happy place.

I'm walking home since I wasn't supposed to be done with dance so early.

I bust through the crowd of people in front of my dance studio. I proceed to walk-cry because honestly, I can't right now. I'm confused, annoyed, and a little delirious so I call the first person who comes to mind.

The phone rings a long time before she answers.

---------------------------------------

"I don't know what to do."

"Whose more important?" Trina asks.

"I can't choose between my future career and my boyfriend." she doesn't say anything so I continue, "He'd never leave me if this was his situation. But, dance is my life. I can't just abandon it. This is my shot to get into a company."

"Okay. So just go on a break. You guys stay close friends and you get to dance the Purple Shoes."

"Red."

"Right... that. And anyway you just started dating him. What's so special?"

"I can't explain it." She slides me my favorite coffee.

"Anyway, thanks for picking me up. Moms at work." I sip the scorching hot drink.

I could tell I made her feel slightly uncomfortable. "How is mom?" She stares at her coffee.

"You know you can come see her. She's literally down the street."

"I don't think I'm ready for that. She still hates me anyway."

"Stop thinking about her or even yourself. What about Belle? Growing up without a grandma to spoil her? You haven't seen her since the funeral."

"I mean I guess your right but-"

"No buts. Just go see mom."

"Ok. Maybe later this month though. Work is hard at 20 years old. And with a two year old."

"At least your not doing it alone. You have Carly."

"Yeah I guess so." she sighs.

"Come home." I plead.

"Ok! I do it tomorrow. I have to pick up Bella from daycare."

"Can you take me home Trin?"

"Yeah sure. Let's go. Can I pick up Tris first?"

"Yeah! I haven't seen her in a week anyway."

Once we are in the car we drive to Carly's house.

I run to the door and knock. The door swings open to a eating Carly and a crying noise.

"Hey babes!" Carly hugs me.

"Hi. How are you? Where's Belle?"

"Back there screaming at the tv. Come on in." She grabs Trina and kisses her. Yes, yes that's why she is scared to see mom. You should've caught on by now! Mom is a strict religious homophobe. The only thing more important than God to her is family. You can she why my sister is having trouble confronting the issue.

"Hey Belle!" I pick up the tiny baby.

"Hi baby!" I kiss her cheek. "Why are you crying?" I used my baby voice that time. I walk towards Trina and Carly; who are still swallowing each other.

"PDA! Stop it! Stop it now." I scream. This only results in getting chased around the apartment by Carly with a baby at hand.

After awhile of screaming, crying and sobbing, Trina and Carly finally gave me a good idea.

There is no way I'm breaking up with him. I REFUSE to give up my spot as lead in the Red Shoes.

But there IS a loophole.