Chapter 12

- Aslynn's PoV -

It was finally Friday: the day Raine was flying to Doncaster. I had gotten the house all ready for her yesterday so this morning all I had to do was drive to the airport to pick her up. My phone started to ring on my way there so I put it on speaker and answered.

"Hello," I said.

"Hey," I heard Phil's voice and smiled.

"Hey. What's up?"

"Nothing. Dan has a meeting right now so I'm trying to keep myself busy."

"So you called me?"

"Of course." That actually made me feel really great. "So, what are you doing right now? Isn't Raine supposed to be staying with you?"

"Good memory from literally last night," I said, chuckling. "I'm actually on my way to pick her up at the airport right now."

"So you're in the car?"

"Yes I am."

"No wonder you sounded kind of weird."

"Yeah. You're on speaker."

"Good girl. Being a safe driver."

"Well, I need to stay alive so I can see you next week."

"What are you and Raine going to do?" he said, trying to act casual.

"I haven't told her about you if that's what your asking."

"No. That's not what I was asking. I just wanted to know what your plans were."

"I'm going to tell her all about how Dan and I are so in love and how I can't wait to meet his parents and spend every second with him," I said dramatically, rolling my eyes.

"Don't say that. It's not true and you know it."

"I know, but she'd kill me if I was like, 'Oh yeah. I'm really with Phil and we text like every second and call each other all the time. Dan means nothing to me romantically.'"

"I'm sure she's not going to kill you for telling the truth."

"She made it very clear that despite her jokes about us, she really thinks it's a bad idea. Plus, she likes Dan better than you since she thinks he's hot or whatever."

"Why don't you set up her and Dan so that telling her about me won't be so bad?"

"Because I don't think her and Dan would be good together."

"Why not?"

"I don't know! I just don't!"

"You're not trying to keep Dan to yourself, are you?"

"Of course not. He just doesn't need any distractions from his job."

"Just like your distraction."

"That's not fair. You know what, I'm almost there. I should just go."

"No, Aslynn. Come on. I'm sorry, okay? You can just continue lying to your friend about us all you want. And if you say Dan and Raine wouldn't be good together then I trust you."

"Thank you."

"Alright. I'll you go then. Just remember how much I care about you okay?"

"Yeah. Bye," I said and hung up. I drove the lest ten minutes in my own silence and then when I parked, waiting for Raine to walk out, I turned on some music so I could lift my spirits. Although, even after she came out and got in the car, I was still a little down about everything. I felt bad getting mad at Phil. She got in with a big smile and gave me a hug from across the seats.